The bases were loaded and the Michigan baseball team was ahead 4-3 at Minnesota with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning earlier today. It was a typical dramatic finish for a baseball game to say the least.

Coming into Saturday’s contest, pitcher Tyler Burgoon was second in the Big Ten with eight saves under his belt. But his arsenal of an arm couldn’t maintain the lead as the Golden Gophers ousted the Wolverines, 5-4, at Mall of America Field.

Michigan (9-8 Big Ten, 28-16 overall) tallied its first two runs in the fourth inning after senior first basemen Mike Dufek had a two-RBI single. The Wolverines scored again in the top of the sixth frame as redshirt senior Nick Urban singled to left field, scoring senior catcher Chris Berset.

But the Golden Gophers (9-7, 29-15) kept it close with two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning right before Oaks left the mound.

Michigan scored one last time in the top of the ninth inning to make the game 4-2 after freshman shortstop Derek Dennis knocked a sacrifice bunt to run Urban in from third.

Burgoon then ran into some problems. Minnesota’s catcher Kyle Knudson cranked a single to right-center field to score one run. Then after another single and a walk, the bases were loaded with two outs.

Fortunately, for Minnesota, designated hitter Trip Schultz stepped into the batter’s box. Schultz singled to left center and drove in two runs to put the Golden Gophers up 2-0 in the three-game series.

Michigan and Minnesota will meet for the third game Sunday afternoon.