The Michigan football player suspected of attacking a Michigan hockey player in a late-night incident last month has been charged with two counts of assault and is expected to turn himself in to police today.

Prosecutors issued a warrant on Friday for LSA senior Mike Milano, 22, charging him with two counts of assault stemming from an incident last month after which LSA junior Steve Kampfer, a Michigan hockey player, was hospitalized with a fractured skull.

The first charge, assault with intent to do great bodily harm, is a felony that carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $5,000 fine. The second charge, for misdemeanor aggravated assault, carries a penalty of up to one year in prison and a $1,000 fine, University Police spokeswoman Diane Brown said Friday.

“We’re working with the perpetrator’s attorney to make arrangements for him to turn himself in and be arraigned,” Brown said.

John Shea, Milano’s attorney, told The Ann Arbor News that his client would turn himself in today and that Milano is not guilty of the charges.

Milano is the main suspect in the Oct. 12 incident, in which Kampfer was “body slammed” into the sidewalk on Church Street, near East Quad Residence Hall, police said.

Kampfer, a starting defenseman on the hockey team, was hospitalized following the incident. Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson said Kampfer will miss eight to ten weeks of play as a result of his injuries.

Kampfer, 20, filed for a Personal Protection Order eight days later, requesting that Milano be prohibited from contacting him or coming near him.

Kampfer’s PPO request states that he was walking with his back to Milano and two of his friends when he was attacked from behind, resulting in “a skull fracture and a fracture of the upper part of (his) neck.”

A judge denied Kampfer’s request for a restraining order, stating that “repeated or continuing harassment” is necessary for a PPO to be granted, and Kampfer only alleged one incident.

Milano, a walk-on running back on the football team at the time of the assault, was suspended indefinitely by the team last month. Coaches declined to provide an explanation for the suspension.