Entering the dual match this weekend, sophomore Katie Zurales was completely oblivious to the fact that in the history of the women’s gymnastics program, Michigan had never beaten Georgia in Athens.

“She was our last performer on beam, the last event,” Michigan’s coach Bev Plocki said. “We did have a fall earlier and I was very pleased with Katie … She was under a lot of pressure to do that and I thought (her performance) was outstanding.”

Zurales finished first on beam with her score of 9.875 and was one of five Wolverines to stick their landings on beam.

The Wolverines had a 23-3 record against the Bulldogs heading into the dual this weekend, and behind the superb performance of Zurales, the ninth-ranked Wolverines upset No. 7 Georgia on its home turf 196.800-196.050.

“We can only control what we do,” Zurales said. “We can’t control the other teams or what has happened in the past. We just try to focus on one routine at a time and do whatever we can do to make it our best meet.”

Sophomore Britnee Martinez and senior Trish Wilson each earned a 9.850 score on the uneven bars, helping the team to their fourth-highest bars score of the year.

The Wolverines posted some of their highest scores of the season on Saturday. They earned their second-highest vault score, their third-highest floor total and their fourth-highest beam total.

“We knew that this was our meet to get out there and give it our all,” Martinez said. “We carried that through the whole time. We had our cheers and kept our eyes on ourselves and we were loud and our energy just sky-rocketed.”

Senior captain Kylee Botterman earned her 10th straight all-around title with a score of 49.475 and finished first in floor with a score of 9.900.

Natalie Beilstein posted a 9.950 on vault, tying her career best, helping Michigan recover after an unfortunate fall on the team’s first vault of the evening.

“We took each event one routine at a time,” Zurales said. “Martinez hit an awesome bar routine that really helped us. In addition to Natalie sticking her vault, there were a bunch of really awesome performances tonight that contributed to this great meet.”

The Wolverines finished the season strong with their win over the Bulldogs this weekend. They head to Minneapolis for the Big Ten Championships this Saturday.

“We proved that we can have a meet where we put all four events together,” Plocki said. “I think they are extremely confident that we are peaking at the right time. This meet will definitely catapult us confidence wise going into the conference championship. It is a big deal to beat Georgia at Georgia and we are excited and looking forward to next weekend.”