INDIANAPOLIS — In its attempt to take down rival Ohio State for the fourth-straight time, the Michigan women’s basketball team’s late push came up short.

Ohio State (25-5 overall, 11-5 Big Ten), led by junior guard Tayler Hill’s 16-point second-half effort, extended its three-point halftime lead to as much as 16 early in the second half.

But the Wolverines weren’t ready to let the game slip out of their hands.

Michigan (20-11, 8-8) went on a 10-0 run — capped by freshman guard Brenae Harris’ first collegiate 3-pointer — forcing the Buckeyes to take a timeout. Just like that, Ohio State’s 16-point lead was cut to six in just three minutes.

The teams traded buckets, but four free throws by Hill and senior Samantha Prahalis with just under a minute left iced the game. The Buckeyes defeated Michigan in season-low scoring efforts by both teams, 57-48.

The game was headlined by both teams’ defenses. The Wolverines held the league-leading scoring duo of Prahalis and Hill to just 30 points — 11 points shy of their combined season average. And Ohio State limited junior center Rachel Sheffer’s production in the paint to just two points.

Sheffer was up against 6-foot-5 center Ashley Adams, so in order to make the most of that matchup, Sheffer had to play more on the perimeter. Six of her eight points came from beyond the arc.

“I think we just tried to spread the floor and go at her as much as we could,” Sheffer said of Adams. “At 6-foot-5, she’s a big girl. It’s hard to get in the paint and go around her, especially at (my) size, but we just tried to go at her around the arc.”

Senior guards Carmen Reynolds and Courtney Boylan led the Wolverine offense with 14 and 10 points, respectively, while junior guard Jenny Ryan stepped up in her habitual role on defense. Ryan had a team-high eight rebounds and five steals while guarding Prahalis for a significant portion of the second half.

Boylan knew the defense would need to have a strong showing to shut down Ohio State’s league-leading offense, but she thought the game was decided by multiple missed chances to close the gap down the stretch.

“I felt we had some good opportunities around (the four-minute mark to make shots),” Boylan said. “I believe we were down like six (or) seven points. And I had a couple of opportunities to make some free throws. Some of us had some good, open shots, but just didn’t seem to knock them down at the time.”

Michigan didn’t improve on shooting between halves, going 19-of-55 for the game. Sheffer and Boylan, the Wolverines’ leading scorers, went a combined 1-for-6 in the first half, and Boylan uncharacteristically missed two free throws, which would’ve cut the lead to seven.

Michigan didn’t shoot particularly well from beyond the arc, either. The squad shot an abysmal 1-for-11 in the first half and was forced to take more attempts in the second half just to try to cut the deficit.

“I think maybe the shot selection we took in the first half potentially could have something to do with (the loss),” said Michigan coach Kevin Borseth. “But you have to feel it. We tried to get down inside that lane, but they kept challenging us from the arc.

“We had some good looks down low. … We tried a few backdoor cuts, when we went after it with one hand instead of two hands, got deflected, went out of bounds. We tried to get it in there, and the ball just wasn’t going our way in the first half. And as a result, you line up with 3-point shots that don’t go in. If they go in, it’s a different conversation.”

Now that the Wolverines’ Big Ten Tournament run is over, they have just over a week until Selection Monday, when they find out if they’ve earned their first tournament bid since 2001.

Borseth thinks the team has earned it despite going one-and-done in the conference tournament.

“We put 20 wins on the board,” Borseth said. “We finished .500 in our conference. Our RPI is good. We had a great strength of schedule.

“We’re a very strong team. We feel we’ve laid our case, but at this point it’s unfortunately not in our hands, it’s in their hands. So we have to have a kind of wait-and-see scenario right now.”