Possession is nine-tenths of the law — a statement that summed up the Michigan field hockey team’s weekend.

The Wolverines (4-1 Big Ten, 12-4 overall) dominated possession on Friday against Michigan State (1-4, 7-10), holding them shotless en route to a 2-0 victory. However, roles reversed against No. 2 North Carolina (17-1) on Sunday, as the Wolverines suffered a 4-3 defeat in double overtime.

Michigan was on its back foot for the better part of the game, which showed in the stats — fifth year senior Christi Barwick finished the night with a career-high 11 saves.

“UNC is a really fast, talented team,” senior midfielder Bryn Bain said. “They’re a much different team from Michigan State so I think they were just more prepared to play us than (Michigan) State was this weekend.”

The Wolverines fell behind in the 27th minute when Tar Heel Katie Ardrey deflected the ball into the goal. However, Michigan came back to tie the game before the half ended as senior backfielder Jess Allen scored off a blocked shot in the 31st minute.

Michigan relinquished the lead again soon after half time. North Carolina’s Kelsey Kolojejchick scored her 18th goal of the season in the 39th minute.

The Wolverines kept persisting though and were rewarded a goal in the 53rd minute. Bain scored her sixth goal of the season off a penalty corner to stretch her point streak to eight games.

Later in the game, Michigan took the lead for the first time in the game with an upset in sight. Freshman Emy Guttman scored her 10th goal of the season off a deflection from Bain’s shot.

However, the Tar Heels responded to tie the game, 3-3, heading into overtime.

Though North Carolina outshot Michigan 3-1 in overtime, neither team capitalized off their chances in the first overtime. The Wolverines had a good scoring opportunity off a penalty corner towards the closing of the first overtime, but failed to convert.

“I just think there were a lot of opportunities that we didn’t get to convert,” Bain said.

North Carolina finally broke through in the second overtime with a goal 10 minutes in, sealing the win.

Things were completely different against Michigan State on Friday.

Michigan held the clear advantage in the game, playing in the Spartans’ half for the majority of the game. Michigan had 10 shots on goal going into the half but went into halftime with nothing to show for its dominance, due in part to Michigan State’s goalkeeper.

Michigan continued its persistence in the second half and finally broke through in the 40th minute when freshmen backfielder Aline Fobe scored her fourth goal of the season off an assist for Bain.

Bain was always near the center of play, as she has been all year. This was her seventh consecutive game with either a goal or assist.

Despite the heartbreaking loss, the Wolverines look to finish the season strong heading into the Big Ten Tournament with a match-up against rival Indiana.

“Every game prepares us for Big Ten matches and today was a really good test as to where we are as a team,” Bain said.