Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson has to be happy his team doesn’t face Miami (Ohio) the rest of the regular season.

“Our team really has to refocus and rethink their commitment to this team and what they’re doing to help the team,” Berenson said. “And we need to regroup on Monday and get back to work, because this is unacceptable.”

The RedHawks handed the Wolverines their first home weekend sweep since 2001.

Michigan’s inconsistent play gave it a 3-1 loss Friday and a 5-1 defeat Saturday.

“It wasn’t just one player,” Berenson said. “When I go around the locker room at the end of the game, when we win, I have a hard time finding someone who didn’t have a good game. When we lose, I have trouble finding someone who did have a good game. That was the fact (Saturday).”

With the sweep, the Wolverines’ record fell to 4-4. In their four wins, the Wolverines have scored 20 times — in their losses, they have just four goals.

Five times this season Michigan has scored three goals in a period. But the Wolverines’ couldn’t even manage three goals on the weekend.

Michigan also struggled on the power play, going 1-for-14 on the weekend.

“We fumbled the puck,” Berenson said of the power play. “We got jittery. The more pressure (and) the more you’re not doing well, the more you fight it.

“They can pass the puck in practice every day like it belongs to them. And then they get in a game situation and they get a little jittery, a little nervous or whatever. And the puck starts bouncing off their stick and it looks like we never practice it.”

In fact, Berenson said Michigan has practiced the power play more this year than any other year during Berenson’s tenure up to this point. It has been a daily routine in practice.

The Wolverines’ ability to keep Friday’s game close could be seen as one of the few positives from the weekend. But Miami scored five unanswered goals the next night.

Even with the lack of scoring, the defense and goaltending wasn’t much better. Hogan allowed eight goals on the weekend.

“There’s maybe one or two players who are even close to playing at their potential,” Berenson said. “It doesn’t show up every night. But it shows up against a real good team that’s playing really well.”

Michigan will have to wait until March and the CCHA tournament to play Miami again. But by then, the team could be vastly different. Berenson certainly is looking for a change, and after this weekend, it is obviously necessary.