Prior to this season, the highest the Michigan women’s tennis team had ever been ranked was No. 16.

On March 9, program history was made once again this year, as the ITA rankings moved the Wolverines up to No. 6. Despite moving back down to No. 8 during an idle week, the Wolverines (11-3 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) took the swagger that comes with a top-10 ranking into Big Ten play with a win against in-state rival Michigan State (5-8 overall, 0-1 Big Ten) on Saturday.

Michigan dominated the courts, winning all doubles and singles matches and shutting out Michigan State 7-0, despite that the team had not played a dual match in over two weeks.

“We were a little rusty, starting a little slow in doubles,” said Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein. “We’d been off for a couple weeks, but it was good to get back out there and to obviously get a Big Ten win.”

Michigan junior Denise Muresan and senior Tania Mahtani clinched the point for the Wolverines in doubles, putting them ahead 1-0 and helping the team earn its eighth consecutive doubles point.

In singles, the Wolverines dominated, and didn’t allow any matches to be taken to third sets. This included junior Kari Wig, who played her first dual match of the season at No. 6 singles, defeating Christine Milliken 6-1, 6-2.

“Kari got in the lineup today and that was very cool for her,” Bernstein said. “She played pretty well and won decisively, and that was good to see.”

Michigan earned its first singles point when 26th-ranked Muresan won her ninth match of the season at No. 1, easily defeating Michaela Silesova 6-1, 6-1. After junior Whitney Taney won next at No. 3, Mahtani clinched the match for the Wolverines at No. 5, defeating Elena Ivanova, 6-0, 6-4.

It was a day of extending winning streaks for the Wolverines, as this was Michigan’s fifth consecutive win, not having a lost a dual match since Feb. 20 against Duke. Taney and freshman Mimi Nguyen also each won their fifth and sixth matches in a row, respectively.

Since starting her career as the Michigan women’s tennis coach in 2007, Bernstein is now 19-2 against Big Ten opponents.

“We’re happy where we are,” Berstein said, “But we need to take one match at a time and get ready for next weekend.”

The Wolverines take on two Big Ten opponents next weekend as they travel to Iowa on Saturday and Minnesota on Sunday to continue their conference play.