Sometimes being first just isn”t enough.

The Michigan women”s swimming and diving team found that out the hard way against Harvard on Friday. Though the Wolverines won 11 of the 12 events, the score still favored the Crimson 246-238 in the end.

Losing won”t affect them statistically though, as the event was an exhibition and all the events were relays most of which are never seen in actual dual meet competition. They did get some regular competition in an exhibition dual meet against Brown on Saturday, but no score was kept to determine a winner.

The meet against the Crimson also gave them an opportunity to evaluate their mechanics at the beginning of the season.

“None of us had ever swam against Harvard and Brown before, so we didn”t know what to expect,” senior Lindsay Carlberg said. “It was kind of weird swimming all relays, but everyone did well on their strokes, turns and dives.”

Michigan also looked good with its times. Though all the events were relays, many got to race their individual events at Harvard. Amy McCullough, Emily-Clare Fenn and Lori Eberwein continued their success from earlier in the season in the 500-yard freestyle by coming together to dominate the 1500 free relay with an impressive 18-second victory.

Michigan diver Tealin Kelemen also preserved her unbeaten streak when she teamed with Lindsey McElroy to win both the three- and one-meter diving relays.

The weekend was also the first time the Wolveines had to deal with the combination of the after effects of traveling and a grueling weeklong practice. After its meets with Florida last weekend, Michigan returned to the pool and continued practice until it departed to the East on Friday.

“It was hard because we had just got done traveling and now we have to travel again next week (to Minnesota),” Carlberg said. But swimming coach Jim Richardson “doesn”t let us let up ever. Everyone is pushing so hard, and we are working more this year than in any other of my years here.”

The hard work is necessary as Michigan has a large class of freshmen, meaning that it is necessary for the swimmers to get used to the schedule and pace of college life. So far the young class has responded well, with most of them factoring into each race.

Katherine Peterson earned the first win of her career swimming the second leg in the 300-yard breaststroke relay and is currently No. 2 on the breaststroke depth chart behind Kelli Stein. Two freestyle swimmers, Tracy Egnatuk and McCullough, have each made their mark on the team.

Egnatuk, who was sick with the flu for the weekend meets, was vital in the 400 free relay victory over Florida last weekend. McCullough was one of eight Wolverines who won three or more events against Harvard.

“Our freshmen have done amazing at this point in the season,” Carlberg said. “They”ve become an integral part of the team and have meshed well with everyone.”

With a week to get Egnatuk and all others battling colds and influenzas healthy, Michigan looks to improve on its 0-1 record against teams like Minnesota and North Carolina in Minneapolis this weekend at the Minnesota Invitational.

How much stamina Michigan has on the second day of the Minnesota Invitational will be important as it will set the tone for the three other invitationals the Wolverines have in November including the Georgia Invitational, where many of the Wolverines will look to qualify for the NCAA Championships.