After losing just one senior to graduation, the Michigan men’s tennis team shouldn’t be lacking experience.

But for three of Michigan’s strongest players, experience is what they received this past week.

Every year, some of the best players in the nation are invited to the D’Novo All America Championships in Tulsa, Oklahoma. There, the Wolverines realized how much they must improve to challenge the top competitors.

Senior Andrew Mazlin, junior Mike Sroczynski and sophomore Jason Jung represented the Wolverines there last week. All three competed in qualifying singles matches. Jung and Sroczynski paired up in doubles main draw play, too.

Play began last Monday, and Mazlin and Scrozynski both fell in the first round of the singles qualifying competition.

“We were obviously hoping they would go there and win matches,” said assistant coach Sean Maymi, who traveled to Tulsa with the trio. “But we wanted to give them the chance to see how they do against good competition. Unfortunately, both of those guys drew some players who were really good.”

Scrozynski played against Mississippi junior Kalle Norberg.

“We knew it was going to be a tough match for him, but he had a lot of really good chances,” Maymi said. “It’s not necessarily a bad loss for him because (Norberg) is very good.”

With his teammates eliminated, Jung survived Monday action, defeating Georgia Tech’s Eliot Potvin and advancing to the second qualifying round.

On Tuesday, Jung was defeated by Arizona’s Jay Goldman in three sets — despite taking a commanding 6-1 lead in the first.

Goldman made quite a few errors, and Jung capitalized to win the first set easily. As the game progressed, Goldman relaxed and put more pressure on Jung, whose late-match errors made the true battle more against himself than his opponent.

“It’s tough for Jason to keep his level that high throughout a match,” Maymi said. “But he’s starting to learn and starting to realize that he can’t get away with (making errors) and that when you do that you’re letting your opponent back into the match.”

Jung’s inability to sustain a lead affected more than just his singles play. He and Scrozynski had a very successful doubles tournament, reaching the quarterfinals, but their accomplishments were clouded by their struggles to cleanly close out matches. The pair would break serve, but then get broken right after, losing momentum and focus throughout the tournament.

In all three matches, the 18th ranked pair won the first break point. In the first two matches, the duo nearly lost its lead, and did so in the quarterfinal match.

In the second round, the pair began with an early break point and then lost focus, narrowly upsetting their opponent, the 6th-ranked doubles team from Maryland by a 9-7 score.

In their last match, Jung and Scrozynski began as well as they had in the previous two rounds, but gave up breaking points of their own. They could not rally back against the team from Texas Tech and fell, 8-4.

“In the back of my mind, I know I have to keep the lead,” Jung said. “But somehow it always happens that when I’m up, I tend to lose a little focus, and I play a couple points carelessly and it builds on (my opponent’s) confidence.”

Lessons like those make fall tournaments like the D’Novo ITA All-American Championships so important for the Wolverines. Unscored tournaments give the team a chance to see how its players measure up against the best in the nation and realize where they need to improve.

“I’m definitely taking the things I’ve learned and setting an example for the rest of my teammates that weren’t there,” Jung said.