After the Nebraska men’s basketball team showed no spark against Michigan on Wednesday, it would seem that the women’s team would be looking for revenge against the Wolverines just a day later.

But the Cornhuskers couldn’t muster a basket during a 14-minute cold streak in the first half of an eerily similar performance to their male counterparts in Lincoln. The Wolverines upset No. 13 Nebraska, 63-52.

The stellar defense of Michigan (7-5 Big Ten, 18-7 overall) held Nebraska (8-3,19-4), to a season-low 12 points and 13-percent shooting in the first half, while the Wolverines hit 12-of-21 of their first-half shots and were up by 20 after the first stanza.

Little changed in the second half.

“It wasn’t like we were ahead at all,” senior guard Carmen Reynolds said of the atmosphere in the locker room at halftime. “We knew Nebraska was going to make a comeback. They’re a good team, they’re not going to give up, but we just said we have to keep taking it at them and continue to take care of the ball.”

Reynolds hit one of her four 3-pointers to open the second half, and again the Wolverines went on a run. The halftime lead was extended to 27, and though the Huskers tried to come back a couple times late in the second half, Michigan’s lead remained in double digits.

Four Michigan players scored in double digits, and Reynolds matched her season-high of 16 points. Senior guard Courtney Boylan had 14, junior forward Rachel Sheffer had 13 and junior guard Nya Jordan had 11.

There was one issue in Michigan’s play that allowed the Huskers to pull within eight — turnovers. The Wolverines gave up the ball 24 times.

“We turned it a lot over at the end,” said Michigan coach Kevin Borseth. “That was a little disappointing. (But) we had a big enough lead, a big enough cushion, and we came away with the win.”

The Michigan team’s outstanding rebounding efforts were also a factor, and the Wolverines held the Huskers to one-shot possessions on most of their trips down the court by hauling in 38 defensive rebounds.

Jordan recorded a double-double, reeling in 10 boards, while Sheffer won the rebounding battle in the paint against Husker sophomore Jordan Hooper with eight. For just the ninth time all season, the Wolverines outrebounded their opponent.

Rebounding is something the team has prioritized all season, and the 48-30 advantage on the boards was one of many reasons Michigan was successful in completing the upset.

“They’re a great rebounding team,” Boylan said. “At the start of the game, they had four or six offensive rebounds. We knew that, in order to win the game, we had to rebound, and as soon as we started rebounding we were able to go on a run and make on offense.”

Those runs — the largest being a 17-0 streak in the first half — gave the Wolverines enough of a cushion to fight off a rallying effort by Nebraska, which was backed by a crowd eager to see the Huskers pull out the win.

“Nebraska wasn’t an easy place to play at,” Reynolds said. “It was extremely loud, a lot of fans. I think we kind of lost focus and didn’t keep composed (in the second half). That hurt us, they were able to make a run, but ultimately we came out on top. That’s all that matters.”

Thursday night’s win gave Michigan its second win over a ranked team this season and its first big win on the road. The Wolverines needed a win in Lincoln to prevent a losing skid after dropping a close match at home on Sunday to Michigan State.

“I thought our kids had a great comeback after our game on Sunday,” Borseth said. “They had a lot of resilience, played really hard, and to get a win like that on the road against a great team like Nebraska is really rewarding.”