Posted Jan. 19

The Michigan hockey team capped a two-game weekend sweep of Notre Dame with a 5-1 win in the Palace of Auburn Hills tonight.

Freshman Louie Caporusso – the recipient of a celebratory pig-pile after his game-winning goal in the waning seconds of last night’s contest – lit the lamp midway through the second period to give the Wolverines a two-goal lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

The almost-playoff atmosphere that Yost Ice Arena housed for last nights ESPN Instant Classic-type thriller was all but absent in the Palace. Even with Notre Dame’s band in attendance the sparse, mostly pro-Michigan crowd didn’t create a big-game atmosphere.

After nearly seven minutes of defensively flawless hockey from both sides, Michigan senior Chad Kolarik notched the first goal of the night.

Kolarik took the puck near the Notre Dame blueline. With the Wolverines nursing a man disadvantage, Kolarik sent a rocket at freshman goalie Brad Phillips. Phillips seemingly made the save, but the puck trickled through his leg pads, coasting softly into the net.

Notre Dame, though, kept it close – at least for a little while.

Irish sophomore Dan Kissel worked the puck around the net and found freshman Ben Ryan with a clear shot. Ryan’s shot went across Sauer’s face, banking in off the post on Suaer’s glove side. The goal came on Notre Dame’s next possession after having one called back for kicking the puck into the net.

Hobey Baker award-hopeful Kevin Porter made sure the game wasn’t knotted at one for too long. Porter poked a faceoff in the Irish zone to junior Tim Miller, who kicked it back to Porter. Porter rifled it past Phillips for his nation-leading 22nd goal of the season.

After Porter’s goal, it was all Michigan. The Irish turned in two less-than-spectacular periods of hockey, and the Wolverines took advantage of it, tallying four goals after Notre Dame knotted it at one in the first.

Check the Michigan Daily’s SportsTuesday for more in-depth coverage from the weekend.