The Michigan women’s volleyball lost its first game of the season Friday, losing to Marquette, but not before beating Wake Forest earlier in the day.

During the first day of the Ambassador Hotels Golden Eagle Classic in Milwaukee, Wisc., the 23rd-ranked Wolverines got off to a fast start by beating Wake Forest (3-2) in straight sets.

But after a seven-hour break Michigan (8-1) came out slow, dropping the first two sets to Marquette (6-1). The Wolverines found their rhythm in the third set, squeezing by 25-21, but they could not overcome their poor hitting percentage in the fourth set, ending the game with a 3-1 loss — their first of the season.

Michigan’s .086 hitting percentage in the fourth set and .179 hitting percentage overall were the worse of the season. The Wolverines were also out-killed 18-8 in the fourth set. Junior outside hitter Lexi Erwin was a rare bright spot against Marquette with 17 kills and 13 digs for the Wolverines.

Michigan was unable to handle the play of the Golden Eagles’ senior middle hitter Danielle Carlson who had 12 kills and an impressive .379 hitting percentage.

Despite ending the first day on a sour note, the Wolverines were able to beat Wake Forest convincingly. The early success for Michigan came from all over the court. Against Wake Forest, Junior outside hitter Molly Toon took control with 11 kills and a .562 hitting percentage.

But it was the play of the underclassmen that led the way. Freshman outside hitter Kelly Murphy added nine kills while also added a team-high 11 digs. In addition, sophomore setter Lexi Dannemiller added 32 assists.

The Wolverines will end the Golden Eagles Classic on Saturday with games against Eastern Illinois and No. 25 Northern Iowa.