The Michigan hockey team’s season-long quest for revenge against Penn State began last weekend at Yost Ice Arena. After falling short Friday, the Wolverines scored eight times Saturday and held the Nittany Lions to a single goal in a dominating performance Saturday. With the split, Michigan moves to 5-7-0 (1-1 Big Ten) on the season.

What happened Friday:

There were more than a few sticks slammed over the bench as discouraged skaters took their seats during the first two periods in Michigan’s first conference matchup.

In a rematch of the Big Ten Tournament first-round meeting this spring, the Wolverines struggled, once again, to put Penn State away.

Michigan came out strong — scoring its first goal just 45 seconds into the game — and outshot the Nittany Lions 41-28 overall, but the Wolverines allowed three first-period goals, which held to seal the 3-2 defeat.

Penn State’s three goals were scored in less than three minutes.

With under six minutes remaining in the first frame, the Nittany Lions capitalized on their first power-play opportunity before adding a second tally just 30 seconds later. With a one-goal advantage, Casey Bailey, Penn State’s leading scorer — who has nine goals on the season — took advantage of a second neutral-zone turnover and launched a shot past sophomore goaltender Zach Nagelvoort.

Despite numerous opportunities in the second period, Michigan was held off until early in the third frame, when junior forward Andrew Copp found sophomore defenseman Michael Downing for the late tally. The Wolverines managed a few more chances in the frame, but even a last 30-second push wasn’t enough.

What happened Saturday:

For weeks, Michigan coach Red Berenson had said it was a matter of time until struggling sophomore forward JT Compher would start scoring. After all, his linemates were already benefitting from Compher’s move back to center.

Though the score didn’t depend on it, Compher found twine not once but twice in the third period Saturday, scoring the Wolverines’ fifth and seventh goals as part of an 8-1 victory.

Compher’s line, which featured sophomore Max Shuart and junior Boo Nieves, finished with eight points, comprising three goals and five assists.

Michigan went 0-for-4 on the power play, and the penalty kill allowed one goal in five man-down situations, but it controlled the tempo at even strength all game. Then, on the penalty kill with 13:47 remaining in regulation, senior forward Travis Lynch found Copp on a breakaway. Copp dangled in front of Penn State goaltender Eamon McAdam, notching the Wolverines’ first shorthanded goal of the season.

Sophomore forward Alex Kile capped off a second three-goal period with his fifth goal of the season. Copp and senior forward Zach Hyman — who added a goal in the second period — now lead Michigan in scoring with five goals each.

Amid the scoring barrage, Nagelvoort stopped 40 shots in one of his best performances of the season.