COLUMBUS — After the No. 11 Michigan hockey team gave up two late goals in a four-minute span on Friday to allow Ohio State to capture a 3-2 overtime victory, the Wolverines hit the ice on Saturday hoping to quickly put the game out of reach.

But their furious pace didn’t pay off until late in the third period. Michigan scored twice to overcome a one-goal deficit to win, 2-1, at Value City Arena.

The Ohio State offense found its legs first. Midway through the second period, junior defenseman Brandon Burlon’s dump-in attempt from center ice was blocked by Buckeye forward Alex Szczechura, who carried the puck into the Michigan zone. Szczechura crossed the ice and beat senior goalie Bryan Hogan with a rising shot from the base of the right circle.

While the Wolverines continued to carry the offensive momentum, finishing the second period with 31 shots on goal, Ohio State nearly struck again just minutes later.

After a flurry of shots in front, a Buckeye forward slammed the puck behind Hogan, but the goal was called off as Ohio State’s Peter Boyd interfered with Hogan. Video replay confirmed the referee’s call, upholding the 1-0 score.

With that call, the momentum swung in Michigan’s favor.

Although the offense threw 48 shots on net, it wasn’t until the third period and shot No. 38 that Michigan finally slipped a puck past Buckeye goaltender Cal Heeter.

Just over six minutes into the final frame, junior forward Luke Glendening carried the puck into the Ohio State zone and dumped the puck toward the net, trying to get a rebound. Heeter misplayed the bouncing puck and it snuck through him and into the net to knot the game up at 1-1.

Later in the period, after a faceoff in the Buckeye zone, senior forward Louie Caporusso’s shot dribbled across the crease to unmarked junior forward David Wohlberg, who found the open net and put in the game-winner.

Despite scoring in the extra-attacker situation on Friday, the Buckeyes were unable to capitalize on their 6-on-3 advantage during two Michigan penalties in the final minute and the Wolverines left Columbus splitting the series. They have split with the Buckeyes four out of the last five series.