It wasn’t the start the Michigan hockey team wanted.

The result, though, was good enough.

Senior Tim Miller scored a late goal with 2:33 left in the third period to break a deadlocked game and give the Wolverines a 4-3 win at Yost Ice Arena on Friday.

Senior Travis Turnbull took a shot from the blue line that bounced off the pad of St. Lawrence goalie Alex Petizian. Miller charged in from the left side and made a diving effort to knock it in.

St. Lawrence took a quick 2-0 lead, taking advantage of key Michigan mistakes.

St. Lawrence got a goal off two Billy Sauer rebounds from forward Kevin Devergilio.

Later in the period, Michigan captain Mark Mitera made an unlikely mistake when he turned the puck over to three oncoming Saints, creating a three-on-one and a 2-0 lead for St. Lawrence after forward Brandon Bollig knocked it in top shelf.

But the Wolverines rallied back after the deficit when sophomore Ben Winnet tipped in junior Steve Kampfer’s blue-line shot to cut the deficit to one. Later in the period, sophomores Aaron Palushaj and Carl Hagelin connected and Hagelin deked around the goalie for an easy goal that tied it 2-2.

Michigan continued its momentum in the second period with a goal at the six-minute mark by sophomore Chad Langlais who received a perfect one-time pass from Matt Rust to put the Wolverines up 3-2.

But the Wolverines didn’t enjoy their lead for long after St. Lawrence’s Mike McKenzie tied the game off a Sauer rebound to knot things up, heading into the final stanza.

The period went back and forth between both teams, with Michigan holding the advantage in power plays. While the Saints took a number of penalties during the period, their penalty kill held strong.

However, Rust’s late goal provided the relief needed, and the Wolverines killed off the rest of the clock to stop any St. Lawrence rally.

Perhaps the biggest story of the game though was the injury to Michigan captain Mark Mitera who suffered an injury to his right leg during the closing seconds of the first period. Mitera didn’t return to the game after the intermission. In the postgame press confrence, Michigan coach Red Berenson said the Mitera was having an MRI and described the injury as “serious.”