The No. 6 Michigan men’s gymnastics team traveled to Chicago to meet five other Big Ten teams ranked in the top 15 for its season-opener at the Windy City Invitational.

The Wolverines (0-1), finished behind No. 2 Ohio State and No. 7 Iowa to take third place out of six teams with 207.150 points.

“I feel good so far,” Michigan coach Kurt Golder said. “But I realize we have a lot of work ahead of us.”

After sitting out a few gymnasts for the entire event to rest nagging injuries, Golder’s lineup will immediately improve by the end of the week with the reinsertion of senior Kris Zimmerman and freshmen Andre Hernandez and Gerry Signorelli.

“I wanted to ensure that they had sufficient time to rest their injuries,” Golder said. “I’d rather have them ready to compete toward the end and middle of the season.”

Conan Parzuchowski’s 9.400 was a bright spot in the middle of the bleakness of a relatively weaker Michigan performance, earning him first place in the event. The Wolverines hope to see similar success more frequently as the season moves forward.

Other efforts on the coach’s agenda to improve the team’s performance will include developing more consistency in individual routines.

“Right now, we have like 57 percent of our routines. We need to get to 80 percent, then we will be where we want,” Golder said.

Golder is confident that this goal can be solidified by the end of the week, in time for the Wolverines’ matchup with No. 1 Oklahoma.

“I am confident that we can be more consistent by the end of the week,” Golder said. “If (we) compete against Oklahoma with a (confident mentality), we have a good chance of knocking them off.”

Another aspect of Golder’s improvement plan includes increasing the level of difficulty the team executes in all events.

“We have real good potential,” Golder sad. “(The Windy City Invitational) did not go that well for us, but we will get better as we add more difficulty. We definitely have potential for more difficulty on vault.”

The individual routines for all the events are relatively simplistic at this early stage in the season, but Golder expects to upgrade the difficulty level on each event as the season progresses.

The Wolverines will test their revamped lineup when they host No. 1 Oklahoma Saturday at Cliff Keen Arena.