SOUTH BEND — In Friday night’s first two periods at Yost Ice Arena, the Michigan hockey team controlled the puck and outshot No. 18 Notre Dame en route to a 4-1 victory.

Yesterday was the same story, except for the result.

Even though the Wolverines took 38 shots, they were shut out 2-0 at Notre Dame’s Joyce Center. and missed countless opportunities in the first period. A rejuvenated Irish team snatched the lead with a shot that hit junior goalie Bryan Hogan’s glove and went into the net.

“Games like this in the beginning, scoring (issues) were probably because we didn’t play well enough,” junior forward Carl Hagelin said. “Today was more like, unlucky. I haven’t said that we’ve been unlucky before. But today we definitely had enough grade-A chances to win the game.”

Michigan coach Red Berenson called Friday’s victory lucky. The puck didn’t go the Wolverines’ way yesterday — all of the luck belonged to the Irish.

On offense, the Wolverines (5-7-0-0 CCHA, 9-9-0 overall) created similar opportunities in the first period in both games. Yesterday, they missed opportunities on rushes and missed shots in front of the net to start the game. But most of Michigan’s shots came from the outside after Notre Dame scored its first goal and then tacked on a second.

On Friday, Hagelin scored on a rebound that came off of a set play from a faceoff. Senior forward Brian Lebler also scored on a rebound, and freshman defenseman Lee Moffie scored during a second-period power play. Junior forward Louie Caporusso finished the scoring with a wrist shot about 10 feet inside the blue line that also snuck in the top of the net.

At Yost, the puck was bouncing the Wolverines’ way.

“I just watched (Alexander) Ovechkin YouTube clips,” Caporusso said jokingly of the goal. “I just tried to do that. Obviously, it didn’t look like him, but I just figured, ‘You gotta shoot the puck.’ ”

Yesterday, that swagger and fire was missing.

“We’ve played the first half of the season coming from behind,” Caporusso said. “That’s not fun. … You want to get the momentum and make (your opponent) have to perform.”

The Wolverines couldn’t regain the lead Sunday. Michigan is 8-2 when it scores the game’s first goal, but 1-7 when the opponent lights the lamp first.

Michigan played with a sense of urgency, crashed the net, and made plays happen throughout Friday’s game. Notre Dame (5-5-4-2, 8-8-4) played without four of its defensemen, including talented junior Ian Cole. Cole’s absence forced the Irish to play sophomore forward Billy Maday (the Irish’s points leader), Ryan Guentzel and Riley Sheahan on defense.

But the Irish defense was good enough that Michigan still couldn’t muster a goal yesterday. The Wolverines didn’t help themselves by taking 18 penalty minutes in the shutout loss, and the nation’s No. 1 penalty kill unit entering this weekend gave up two power play goals on the weekend.

It was another inconsistent weekend for Michigan, which entered yesterday’s game with a chance to earn its second sweep of the season. The Wolverines are now off until Dec. 29, when they play in the Great Lakes Invitational at Joe Louis Arena.

“(This weekend) leaves us somewhere in the middle,” Berenson said. “We’re not on a roll. We’re not bad. We’re a pretty good team. We’ve got to find ways to win games like this. When you come in here and play like that and keep them on their heels, you have to find a way to win this game. I still think our best hockey is ahead of us.”