Seventh-place finish for Blue in Big Tens

Michigan golf coach Jim Carras said going into the Big Ten Championships that the Wolverines would have to win the tournament to make the NCAA Regionals.

They effectively killed their chances by tying for seventh place with Wisconsin, shooting a 1,168 for the weekend. Northwestern won with a 1,132 in Urbana, Ill.

A final round of 285 helped Michigan jump three spots on the last day. Senior Scott Hayes moved up 10 spots to 22nd yesterday with a round of 68, the third best of his career. Hayes finished as the top Wolverine.

Andrew Chapman was the next best for Michigan, ending tied for 26th.

Michigan ends its season with six top-five finishes in 11 tournaments.

Staff reports

Track runs into success at Toledo Invite

Ike Okenwa led the men”s track team this past weekend at the Toledo Invitational with two wins in the 100- and 200-meter dashes, running 10.68 and 21.28, respectively.

Seniors Ravi Smith, Josh Sellers, Charles DeWildt and Oded Padan also won their respective events in Toledo. Smith won the 400 meters in 47.82, while Sellers clocked 51.84 to win the 400 hurdles. DeWildt jumped 15-0 in the pole vault, while Padan soared to a season”s best 49-03 3/4 in the triple jump.

April Phillips led the women”s team at Toledo, winning the shot put and the hammer throw with tosses of 48-11 1/2 and 175-6. Adrena Williams won the 100 meters in 12.17, Tasha Phillips took first in the 100 hurdles with 14.14 and Vera Simms won the 400 hurdles in 61.12.

Additionally, Katie Jazwinski and Lisa Ouellet both provisionally qualified in the 1500 meters at the Stanford Invitational, running 4:20.72 and 4:22.88, to finish seventh and tenth, respectively.

Shawn Kemp