After a disappointing 63-49 loss to Marquette on Friday, the Michigan women’s basketball team looks to rebound against a team that it hasn’t played in 18 years.

The Wolverines will travel to Terre Haute, Ind. on Monday night to take on the Indiana State Sycamores (2-1) in a non-conference matchup. It is still early in Michigan’s season, but after Friday’s loss, the players feel a sense of urgency.

“We’re below .500 right now and it’s only the third game, but we don’t want to be in that position,” senior guard Veronica Hicks said after Friday’s game. “Especially going into conference, we want to be on the winning side.”

Early on in the season, one of Michigan’s biggest issues has been rebounding. In their two losses, the Wolverines (1-2) have been out-rebounded by a combined 75-47. On Friday, the Wolverines allowed Marquette to grab 14 offensive rebounds, which resulted in plenty of second-chance points for the Golden Eagles.

The Sycamores don’t have a lot of height in this matchup, but then again the Wolverines were out-rebounded by a Marquette team whose tallest player stands at 6-foot-3. Indiana State’s record is a bit misleading, as their two wins have come against the less-than-frightening combination of Furman and UT-Martin. Regardless, Michigan will have to play better on the boards if it wants its record back in the positive.

The Sycamores rely on three players for most of their offensive output. Junior guard Brittany Schoen, junior forward Deja Mattox and sophomore guard Taylor Whitley combine to average 32.8 out of the team’s 59 points per game.

Another player to watch out for is the team’s only senior, forward Kelsie Cooley. Cooley doesn’t light up the box score offensively, but she averages just over eight rebounds per game. She is only 6-foot-1, but she works hard for rebounding positioning and has a nose for the ball. Michigan will have to work hard at keeping her away from the basket if they want to win the rebounding game.

Michigan will need its only senior, Hicks, to return to form. She leads the team in scoring, averaging 13 points per game, but she scored only six points against Marquette after tallying 22 against Xavier.

The Wolverines will also require better production from sharpshooting junior Carmen Reynolds, who attempted only one 3-pointer en route to five points. Sophomore Sam Arnold played well against Marquette, leading the team with 12 points on four 3-pointers, but the Wolverines will need their big guns to step up in order to be successful.

Although Indiana State is not the most highly touted team, every game is an important one for the young, sub-.500 Wolverines.