Liesl Morris ended the No. 10 Michigan field hockey team’s 2-0 shutout against Maine hungry.

She’s hungry for more Wolverine victories, but also for a little bit of Cuban food as well. Because the senior captain, who tallied her first collegiate goal on Sunday afternoon has a little wager going with the rest of the team.

“A goal a game would be nice,” Morris reflected. “If I get 12 goals, my (jersey) number, (my teammates) will take me to Frito Batidos. (It’s) a lot to look forward to.”

Michigan capped off the weekend more optimistic about its season than when it started. The Wolverines countered its first pair of losses of the season with two wins in its first home stand — 4-1 against Delaware on Saturday and then the 22- ranked Black Bears the following afternoon.

Freshman forward Shannon Scavelli scored the Wolverines’ first goal at the 14-minute mark on Sunday, redirecting a penalty-corner from junior Rachael Mack.

According to Michigan coach Marcia Pankratz, that first goal was important for orienting the rest of the team.

“With a young group, you’re trying to keep them in a positive frame of mind,” Pankratz said. “I think we kept (Maine) on their heels, which was one of the talking points of pregame.”

It didn’t take much longer for the Wolverines to cap off their scoring against Maine. Five minutes later, junior Michelle Roberts dragged Maine’s goalie and defenders left, and then found Morris in the circle. Morris dove forward to finish the play and tip the ball past the Black Bears’ goalie.

Though Morris maintains that the team got a little “flat-footed” in the last 10 minutes of the game, it wasn’t too visible. Though the match remained scoreless and Michigan stayed on the defensive end, the Wolverine offense maintained possession, marking four penalty corners and six additional shots on goal.

But Morris’s goal still remained the highlight of the match. She doesn’t usually play at forward — generally sticking to midfield— but finding the back of the net was nothing more than instinct. And for Pankratz, it was just the kind of thing she likes to see from her captains.

“I didn’t think she was going to reach (the ball), but it was pretty cool for her first goal to be such an outstanding one. I hope to see more for her. She is versatile, hard working and doing a great job leading our team. I’m happy for her.”

The Wolverines were coming off a high from the day before, when redshirt sophomore Leslie Smith netted her first career hat trick. And since the Wolverine’s game plan worked so well against the Blue Hens, they didn’t change much when they took on the Black Bears 24 hours later.

At this early point in the season, the focus isn’t so much on Michigan’s opponents as it is intrinsic issues.

“Each team, you have to come up with different game plan (but) before the game today, we talked about our game plan, just keep the pace high, the level high (and) do what we’ve been doing in practice,” Scavelli said.

After Sunday’s victory, Pankratz couldn’t stop gushing when thinking about her players.

“The synergy of the team is important and we’ve got a great group of women,” Pankratz said. “It’s been fun to coach them.”