Playing its fifth straight game on the road, the Michigan men’s lacrosse team (0-2 ECAC, 0-6 overall) suffered another loss at Hobart, 11-6, on Saturday. The loss kept the Wolverines winless on the season, but that doesn’t deter from the lessons the team has learned in Division-I competition.

“Each game, we have been focusing on a new thing that we need to improve on, and going into that game, we ended up perfecting that,” said freshman midfielder Kyle Jackson. “We did really well. So it’s just little things that we need to keep working on that we focus on all week to get through our heads.”

Jackson kept his recent string of great play alive against Hobart (2-0, 3-2). After posting a four-assist, five-point game against High Point, he led the team with two tallies and an assist against the Statesmen.

“Throughout the last couple weeks, it’s moreso just been the two other guys I’ve been playing with — (freshman midfielder) Mike Hernandez and (redshirt freshman midfielder) David Joseph — I’ve been playing with, helping me out,” Jackson said. “I’ve been helping them out, and we’ve all been contributing throughout.”

Hernandez followed up his four-assist performance with two assists, while Joseph added a goal.

Sophomore attackman Alex Love led the Statesmen with four goals on 16 shots. Not only did Hobart outshoot the Wolverines, 41-33, they also had 34 ground balls to Michigan’s 21.

The only statistical category that the Wolverines won was the penalty time. They used it to their advantage, especially in the third quarter. Trailing 4-2 out of halftime, the Wolverines came out fired up. They scored three straight goals in three minutes, two of which came with the man advantage.

“We got a couple of man-up opportunities, which helped us throughout that little rush that we had,” Jackson said. “(The adjustments were) capitalizing on the opportunities we had, and we did a great job of that right off the bat, which helped us out a lot.”

But once the Statesmen were trailing, they stepped up their intensity. They scored the next five goals, putting the game out of reach for good.

Even in the loss, Michigan coach John Paul saw major improvements in many areas of the game. After struggling to clear well last week, a week of practice time showed huge results — the Wolverines were able to clear the ball on 85 percent of their chances.

“We’re doing so much teaching right now,” Paul said. “Something new comes up all the time. The only way you’ll learn it is by making some of these mistakes. It’s a learning experience. We are slowly creeping towards putting it al ltogether.”

Michigan only has one victory since making the jump from club level to varsity last year, and Hobart has been in a similar position. After winning 13 national championships in 14 years at the Division-III level, the Statesmen attempted to move up to Division-I. They’ve only had a winning record four times since their promotion in 1995, showing Michigan an example of how the struggle it faces. However, the Wolverines have a solid foundation that they hope will be able to advance the program in the future.

“Our guys know what we are building, and they are excited about the future and they are excited about where this program is going,” Paul said. “They are going to keep working hard. They are going to stay into it. This is a new program that knows where we are going, and they know the work they have to put in to get us there, and they are dedicated to that.”