Laura Bates and Brandon Foote / Jen Sygit concert preview
Tonight
8:30-10:30 p.m.
Crazy Wisdom Bookstore and Tearoom
Free

Two of Earthwork Music’s finest acts will grace Ann Arbor with an evening of heartfelt picking, strumming and singing tonight. Laura Bates and Brandon Foote, along with Jen Sygit, will flood the Crazy Wisdom Tearoom with voices and stringed instruments.

The subtle beauty of Bates’s and Foote’s music was introduced to many of us last April when they opened up for Daisy May and Seth Bernard at The Ark. Since then the duo has shared their gospel-hued folk at festivals, coffee houses and breweries across the state. With Bates on guitar and piano and Foote on mandolin, their music has just enough sustenance to keep their voices supported without being overburdened. Although their music hails from days of old, there is a charming accessibility to their uncomplicated and oftentimes quiet approach to the mores of folk that pleases the ear and calms the spirit.

Adding to the evening will be the Lansing-grown Jen Sygit. With a voice that leans toward the soulful but retains the tranquil, Sygit effortlessly moves between tender folk, brassy standards and somber blues to create a sound and style that earned her recent album, Leaving Marshall St., a 2007 Detroit Music Award nomination for outstanding acoustic/folk recording. Although guitar is her primary instrument, Sygit oftentimes accompanies her fluid voice and lyrical storytelling with banjo and ukulele.

Both Sygit and Bates and Foote are examples of the blooming roots music culture that we are so fortunate to have here in Michigan. Their various approaches to the folk, bluegrass, gospel and blues genres ensure a wonderfully entertaining evening.