You would be hard-pressed to find a weekend on the softball schedule as lopsided as last weekend was.

The second-ranked Wolverines (3-0 Big Ten, 26-5 overall) squared off against Wisconsin in their second Big Ten matchup of the season. And from the first inning on a drizzly Saturday afternoon in Ann Arbor, there was little competition.

Over the series’ two games, Michigan tallied 18 hits, while Wisconsin mustered just two (one in each game). Michigan crossed the plate 23 times. Wisconsin never managed to do so, as the Wolverines won 15-0 on Saturday and 8-0 on Sunday.

With the eight-run mercy rule in effect, neither game surpassed five innings.

This was a fate the Badgers (0-4, 8-20) have met before — the last time they were shut out back to back was last April in Madison against the visiting Wolverines.

Saturday’s game featured a Michigan lineup that performed well from top to bottom. The only starter who didn’t get a hit, senior catcher Roya St. Clair, still drove in a run on a sacrifice fly to right field that opened up the scoring for a 10-run second inning. Sophomore second baseman Amanda Chidester hit a two-run shot to left in the first inning, and senior third baseman Maggie Viefhaus smacked an opposite field three-run homer to left in the following frame.

Senior centerfielder Molly Bausher continued to prove her worth from the nine-hole in the lineup as well, as she hit a bases-clearing double to the wall in left center that blew open the second inning.

“The nine-hitter is a very important role,” Michigan coach Carol Hutchins said. “To me, it’s a place of honor. Her job is to have good at-bats, turn the lineup over and make things happen. And I have maintained for the last two years, at least, that when Molly Bausher is getting on base, we’re winning games.”

Junior pitcher Jordan Taylor needed to toss just three innings to earn her 14th win of the season. Once the Wolverines went up by 15, Hutchins cleared the bench and replaced Taylor with freshman Stephanie Speierman, even though Taylor had a no-hitter in the making.

“It was a chance for us to get Steph (Speierman) in the game,” Hutchins said. “Jordan was throwing a no-hitter, but if Steph doesn’t get some innings, it’s going to be hard to develop her and hard to keep her motivated. It was too good of an opportunity to pass up.”

The freshman hurler seized the opportunity, as she struck out four over two innings of work. She did give up a bloop single to right with two outs in the fifth inning to lose the combined no-hitter, but she came back strong to strike out the next batter and end the game.

Sunday afternoon’s game finished in similar fashion, but the Wolverines spread out their scoring this time, crossing the plate at least once in every inning.

Senior lefty Nikki Nemitz took the mound and threw five innings of one-hit ball to earn her 11th win. Nemitz has been hot lately after starting the season 1-3 — she’s now won each of her last nine starts.

Hutchins and her players like to compare their day-to-day attitude to the mantra that’s governed competition for the Connecticut women’s basketball team. Focus on one game at a time.

“The kids really like UConn basketball. They’ve been following it,” Hutchins said. “One thing we know about UConn is that they’re very intense, they practice really hard and they go after every game the same. It doesn’t matter who they’re playing. I like that mentality, and I think it’s Michigan softball mentality.”