After finishing first in its first two events of the season, the Michigan men’s golf team put up high scores at the Windon Memorial Classic, rarely threatening to break par.

The 12th-ranked Wolverines posted a team score of 877, 25 over par, and finished seventh of 15 teams in the Classic held at the par-71 North Shore Country Club Course in Glenview, Il. Illinois won the tournament handily, carding a nine-under-par 843. Among the Big Ten teams in the tournament also finishing ahead of Michigan were Indiana, Northwestern, and Purdue.

Senior co-captain Nick Pumford led the Wolverines, tying for 25th overall. He was the only Wolverine with an under-par round to contribute to the team score, shooting a one-under-par 70 in the second round.

Michigan never found momentum and failed to convert on putting opportunities throughout the tournament, settling for double bogeys. Wolverine coach Andrew Sapp said the play wasn’t horrible, but it certainly wasn’t great.

“We really didn’t get things going this week,” Sapp said. “We made some birdies, but there were some bad holes as well. Pretty surprising, given the way we’ve played the last couple of weeks.”

Sapp said he saw no cause for alarm, adding that Michigan was not far from clicking at the tournament, both in driving and putting. He said his other co-captain, senior Bill Rankin, had his worst putting weeks of the young season. Rankin entered the tournament without a three-putt on the year. But he had a couple of them in Glenview.

“We just really didn’t have our game,” Sapp said. “It was kind of a B-plus game for us. We need to go back to work and get our A-games ready for next week.”

Though none of the Wolverines finished in the top 20 in team scoring, freshman Matt Thompson was a bright spot.

Playing as an individual, not as part of Michigan’s team score, Thompson broke the top 20 for the second consecutive tournament, finishing 19th on the strength of a final round 70 (-1).

“Matt played well in his first trip playing away from campus,” Sapp said. “He’s playing really solid. It was a good tournament for him. Two top-20 finishes as an individual — these are great steps for him in the right direction.”