All season the Michigan basketball team has talked about “learning how to win.”

After opening up the Big Ten season with back-to-back victories (for just the second time since the 1993-1994 season), Michigan (2-0 Big Ten, 6-5 overall) is starting to believe.

“People are confident and trusting the system, and that”s why we are playing so well,” said senior tri-captain Leon Jones. “It”s great, everybody is buying into it. We are learning how to win.”

After ending a streak of seven consecutive losses away from Crisler Arena with a hard-fought 67-63 win over Penn State on Wednesday, the Wolverines returned to Ann Arbor with a remarkable shooting touch.

Michigan converted on 61.9 percent of its attempts (13-of-21) in the second half of play against Purdue on Saturday they shot 56.9 percent for the game.

Class act: Before the Wolverines 88-58 victory over Eastern Michigan on Dec. 22, Michigan coach Tommy Amaker announced that sophomore center Josh Moore and freshman guard Marcus Bennett would be leaving the team because of academic troubles.

Moore was declared ineligible because of his low grades. He will no longer practice or play with the team.

Bennett left the team due to a “private” academic issue, which reportedly occurred prior to his enrollment at Michigan.

Bennett has dropped out of school, and Moore”s status at the University is still uncertain.

“We have high academic standards here at the University of Michigan, and we are going to enforce those standards,” Amaker said. “We are going to build a program of which this university and our fans can be proud on and off the basketball court.”

Deja vu: Sophomore point guard Avery Queen sat out the entire game against the Eagles. He was suspended for an unspecified “violation of team rules.”

This is nothing new for Queen Brian Ellerbe suspended him twice last season citing the same reason.

But Queen returned to the court with a bang, scoring 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting and directing the Wolverines” offense with confidence during the last two wins.

Dom Bombed: Amaker has chosen to utilize his veteran players more during the Big Ten season. The minutes given to upperclassmen like Jones and Gavin Groninger have left Dommanic Ingerson, who has led Michigan in scoring three times this year, on the bench. Ingerson played just one minute in the second half against Purdue.

“I”m not going to bicker about this,” said Ingerson, who showed visible signs of frustration. “This is Coach”s decision. I just need to accept this and grow.”

Ingerson had been suffering from the flu earlier in the week, but said that it did not affect his play.