The No. 7 Michigan field hockey team clinched the outright Big Ten regular season title with a 4-2 victory over Indiana on Friday. The victory marks the second-straight conference title for Michigan and the eighth overall in the program’s history.

The title is also the first in all of Michigan athletics in the fall season.

“I love trophies, I love for our student athletes to leave here with championship rings,” said Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon.

Added Michigan coach Marcia Pankratz: “They worked so hard all season. I’m just so proud to win a championship for Michigan.”

Pankratz has coached seven of the program’s eight championship teams.

Sophomore forward Rachael Mack, the team’s leading scorer, scored the game-winning goal. The contest was tied 1-1 at halftime after freshman Emy Guttman scored off a pass from sophomore Ainsley McCallister in the 21st minute.

The score did not remain tied for long, as Mack scored her 12th goal of the season off a pass from senior Eileen Brandes 26 seconds into the second half. Brandes would record her second assist of the game in the 65th minute when senior Jess Allen scored her second goal of the season to put the game out of reach at 4-2.

Though both Indiana and Michigan tallied seven shots each in the second half, Michigan had eight penalty corners compared to four for Indiana. Michigan took advantage of closer shots on net and scored three goals in the final frame.

“Today was a tough one, and we squeaked it out, and I’m really proud of them,” Pankratz said.

On senior day on Sunday, the Wolverines (5-1 Big Ten, 13-5 overall) fell to No. 9 Stanford, 3-0. The defeat was Michigan’s fourth non-conference loss of the year.

Despite outshooting Stanford 10-3 in the first half and 9-2 in the second half, Michigan was held scoreless. Many of the Wolverines’ shots were off target or further away than their chances were against Indiana. Only nine of Michigan’s 14 shots were on net.

The result was simple: Michigan’s shots were consistently deflected and saved by Stanford senior goalie Ale Moss, who recorded her sixth shutout of the season.

“I think we need to be more aggressive,” Mack said. “We didn’t possess the ball as well as we should have. We need to bring a mental intensity to our next game.”

With a large presence of Stanford fans in the stands, the Cardinal (15-2 overall) took a 1-0 lead with seconds left in the first half off a corner. Sophomore Hope Burke scored from the left side of the post off a pass from junior Becky Dru, who assisted on the second goal as well, before scoring the third herself.

The loss ended Michigan’s eight-game home win streak.

“We have to keep playing, we’ve been doing it all year,” Pankratz said. “We just didn’t today.”

By winning the regular season Big Ten title, Michigan receives a first-round bye in the conference tournament at Penn State in Happy Valley. The Wolverines’ first game in the playoffs will be Friday.