LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Clank.

It’s an ugly word, perfect for the sound of a missed shot. It leaves nothing to doubt. And by the end of Michigan’s 79-65 loss to Marquette Friday at the Milk House, the Wolverines were downright tired of hearing it after each of their 3-point attempts.

Michigan went 1-13 from the 3-point line in the second half on its way to shooting a combined 3-20 for the game.

Redshirt sophomore Laval Lucas-Perry as well as sophomores Zack Novak and Stu Douglass, three players whose 3-point shooting Michigan relies on, were a combined 2-10 from beyond the arc.

“We got a bunch of good looks,” senior DeShawn Sims said. “But we just weren’t able to knock them down today.”

It’s easy to point to the dreadful 3-20 as the reason the Wolverines lost to a surprising Marquette squad. But it wasn’t just Michigan’s offensive struggles.

The prevailing reason the Wolverines weren’t able to make a run was their inability to stop Marquette’s fast, penetrating guards.

“That was as quick a team as I could recall,” Beilein said. “That’s why they beat Xavier (Thursday), and that’s why they beat us.”

That speed was on display from the very beginning. The Golden Eagles jumped out to an 8-2 lead early, but Michigan came back to tie it at 15.

It was the closest Michigan would come all game.

After that, Marquette went on a 9-0 run and held the Wolverines at bay the rest of the half, leading 44-35 at the half.

If fans were thinking, “Why can’t Michigan shoot?” after seeing the Wolverines shoot 28 percent from the 3-point line, they had no idea what they were in for.

To their credit, the Wolverines made a concerted run at the beginning of the second half, bringing the score to within one at the 16-minute mark. Unfortunately for Michigan, Marquette then went on a 10-0 run. The Wolverines never recovered after that.

Throughout the game, the bright spot for Michigan remained Manny Harris. The junior had 22 points, four assists and eight rebounds.

But even Harris went 0-4 from beyond the arc, continuing his poor outside shooting from last game.

“Stu and Manny, you know, are both outstanding shooters,” Beilein said. “The mistake for those two would be to stop shooting. They need to keep putting it up there when they’re open.”

Notably ineffective was Sims, who tallied just eight points and six rebounds and went 0-2 from downtown.

Even with little defensive pressure on them, the Wolverines had trouble putting in shots. They shot a combined 66 percent from the free throw line, which should be an area of concern for Michigan moving forward.

“Marquette was hitting their free throws,” Sims said. “We just have to do a better job of focusing and sticking with our rhythm and knock our shots down.”

It was apparent to Beilein that in order to stay with teams of this caliber offensively, Michigan would have to knock down its 3-pointers.

“We have to. We have to,” he said. “And it didn’t seem like we made them when we had to.”

Note: Michigan will play an Old Spice Classic consolation game Sunday at 5 p.m. against the winner of the game between Florida State and Alabama.