Michigan women’s basketball coach Kim Barnes Arico couldn’t have asked for a better start to the 2014 campaign.

Despite their lack of size, the Wolverines have used a balanced offense to produce a 6-1 record — the team’s best start in Barnes Arico’s three seasons at Michigan.

But when Michigan takes the court Tuesday night, it will face an opponent riding an even stronger wave of momentum: undefeated Princeton.

The Tigers (8-0) are off to the best start in Ivy League history. Princeton also edged the one team that bested Michigan. One week before the Wolverines suffered their only loss at Pittsburgh, the Tigers dropped the Panthers by 16 points on the same court.

Princeton — Michigan’s only home opponent so far to receive votes in the AP poll — stands as the Wolverines’ last true test at Crisler Center before the start of Big Ten play in three weeks.

To snap the Tigers’ unbeaten streak and continue rolling into a daunting matchup with No. 2 Notre Dame on Saturday, Michigan’s offense needs to fire on all cylinders as the defense continues to improve. Barnes Arico emphasized that point Monday evening on Fox Sports Detroit’s “Inside Michigan Basketball” special.

“I really like the way our team shares the basketball,” Barnes Arico said on the show. “I really like how unselfish we are and how we’re committed to improving on the defensive end. That’s something we struggled with early, and I think we’re getting better and better at it. Everybody’s buying into ‘the team, the team, the team.’ ”

The Wolverines can take comfort in that they won’t be playing at quite a size disadvantage Tuesday. Princeton’s starters stand at an average of 5-foot-10, which should come as a relief after Michigan’s game against a Wake Forest team featuring multiple six-footers.

Instead of doing its damage down low, the Tigers have relied on a trio of guards who launch even more 3-point attempts than the Wolverines’ own deep threats. Led by senior guard and leading scorer Blake Dietrick, Princeton has knocked down 37.8 percent of its 127 attempts from downtown.

The Wolverines can outmatch that production. With the help of its own triumvirate of 3-point-shooting guards — freshman Katelynn Flaherty, sophomore Siera Thompson and junior Madison Ristovski — Michigan is shooting 43 percent from beyond the arc.

But the only time this season the Wolverines encountered another proficient outside-shooting team, they went ice-cold on both offense and defense in the 21-point loss to Pittsburgh. Maintaining a high energy level will be crucial to avoiding a repeat occurrence Tuesday night.

“Tired is a state of mind,” Barnes Arico said. “There is no such thing as tired. If you’re not feeling it today, act your way into feeling. That’s my responsibility as the head coach of this program — to make sure that I bring that energy, that enthusiasm and that passion every day. If I want our team to be the hardest working team in America, they need to see it from the top down.”