Photo Slideshow: Baseball vs. Minnesota in Big Ten Tournament, 5/28

COLUMBUS — It was the bottom of the eighth inning, and the Michigan baseball team held a 3-1 lead over Minnesota with junior right-hander Tyler Burgoon, one of the best closers in the Big Ten, in to finish out the victory. The Wolverines appeared to be a sure thing to advance to Saturday’s championship round of the Big Ten Tournament.

But that’s when it all fell apart.

Burgoon gave up two runs to tie the game, and the Golden Gophers went on to defeat Michigan 4-3 in 11 innings after a game-winning single from catcher Kyle Knudson. The loss means the Wolverines will play Iowa in an elimination game Saturday afternoon, and will have to win three games in two days in order to emerge as tournament champion.

In the first postseason action of his career, redshirt freshman left-hander Bobby Brosnahan was outstanding on mound. He gave up just one run off five hits over 6.2 innings while striking out five, despite battling a leg injury from the fourth inning on.

His offense provided Michigan the first lead of the game, which was scoreless after three innings. In the top of the fourth, after a Gopher error extended the frame, redshirt senior rightfielder Nick Urban grounded out to third to score sophomore designated hitter Coley Crank.

The Wolverines added two more in the seventh inning. Junior leftfielder Ryan LaMarre drove in freshman shortstop Derek Dennis with a single and redshirt junior second baseman Anthony Toth scored from third on a wild pitch.

But Minnesota refused to quit. After plating one in their half of the seventh, the Gophers answered Michigan’s rally by loading the bases on Burgoon. The right-hander promptly allowed an RBI single to make it 3-2, and walked home the tying run before getting pulled in favor of junior right-hander Matt Miller.

After escaping a jam in the ninth inning and breezing through the tenth, Miller allowed the first two hitters in the 11th to reach base. Knudson stepped up next and lined it into center. Freshman centerfielder Patrick Biondi, who made several run-saving plays throughout the game, had no chance to throw out the runner, and the Wolverines fell.

Michigan coach Rich Maloney said he has yet to decide who will get the ball tomorrow, but it will likely be sophomore right-hander Brandon Sinnery making the start.