After last weekend’s sweep of Western Michigan, the Michigan hockey team looked to increase its position in the CCHA as well as sustain its momentum heading into the final six weeks of the regular season.

The Wolverines helped out both causes with their 6-0 win over Alaska tonight at Yost Ice Arena.

Michigan received goal contributions from five different players, with senior Brian Lebler grabbing two tallies on the night and First Star Honors.

The noticeable difference in the contest was the opening period, when the Wolverines scored three goals in a 1:23 time span. Freshman Lee Moffie scored the first goal of the night off a feed from junior forward Carl Hagelin.

Fellow freshman Chris Bown and Lebler followed suit with the second and third goals, respectively. Michigan headed into the locker room with a convincing 3-0 lead and the game pretty much in hand.

Alaska, a team that is last in the CCHA with just 8.6 penalty minutes per contest, did a disservice to itself tonight, taking 20 minutes worth a penalties, a season high

So for much of the contest the Nanooks had to kill of a plethora of penalties, which is something they’re not accustomed to doing. While Michigan registered just two power play tallies, having to kill off a period’s worth of penalties probably took a toll on Alaska.

Wolverine goalie Bryan Hogan registered his second shutout of the season while stopping 17 shots.

Michigan will return tomorrow night to play Alaska for the second game of this weekend series. Scheduled face-off time is 7:35 p.m., with the game airing on Comcast.