The Michigan Daily Top 10 returns for its sixth installment this season. Each week, Daily Sports staffers will fill out ballots, with first place votes receiving 10 points, second-place votes receiving nine, and so on. The results are published with first-place votes in parentheses.

1. Oklahoma (12): The Sooners won a conference road game, but it was at Baylor. This weekend’s Red River Shootout will reveal whether they deserve such a high ranking.

2. Alabama (1): Crimson Tide running back Glen Coffee roasted the Kentucky defense for 214 yards. Zing! Alabama beat Kentucky by just three points. But the Wildcats were unbeaten entering the game. But then again, did anybody know that?

3. Missouri: The Tigers earn their first win in Lincoln in 30 years. Not if you’re measuring by the amount of saliva projectiled between the players. Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel alleged a Cornhusker spat on him during pregame warmups.

4. Penn State (1): In Big Ten Network commercials, a grumpy Joe Paterno urges you to “come to Penn State.” If the Nittany Lions keep blowing everybody out, the top recruits will heed his advice — even if he gets more senile.

5. Texas: The Longhorns won a conference road game, but it was at Colorado. This weekend’s Red River Shootout will reveal whether they deserve such a high ranking.

6. Louisiana State: The Tigers head to The Swamp for a primetime showdown with SEC powerhouse Florida this Saturday. This SEC matchup will be a perfect game for the SEC-lovers to wax poetically about the great SEC. Woo, SEC!

7. Texas Tech: The Red Raiders are averaging more than 48 points per game this year. But Nebraska’s Blackshirt defense should present problems next week. (Maybe sarcasm doesn’t work that well in print.)

8. Southern Cal: The Trojans had 597 yards of offense against Oregon this week. They would have doubled that had they played Michigan. Can the Big Ten just drop its Rose Bowl tie-in to save embarrassment?

9. Brigham Young: The Cougars 15-game win streak is the nation’s best. If Michigan got to play teams like Utah State every week, it would win at least half of those.

10. Vanderbilt: We’ll just leave it to a sign seen at the Commodores’ win over Auburn last Saturday. “The geeks shall inherit the turf.”

Also receiving votes: Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Utah, Florida