The Michigan Daily Top 10 returns for its fourth installment in this young season. Each week, Daily Sports staffers will fill out ballots, with first place votes receiving 10 points, second-place votes receiving nine, and so on. The results are published with first-place votes in parentheses.
1. Ohio State (6): This ranking is more other teams losing than the Buckeyes winning. With a 48-3 over Kent State, Ohio State added another unimpressive win to its resume. Talk to us on Nov. 18.
2. South Florida (1): That’s right. The South Florida Bulls have stormed to second in our rankings, even garnering a first-place vote. But the road only grows tougher from here on for the true feel-good story of the college football season.
3. Louisiana State (2): The Tigers’ three-OT loss wasn’t enough to discourage two voters from picking them No. 1. Perhaps they were impressed by coach Les Miles’s classy move after game. Seems like a guy we’d like to have in Ann Arbor …
4. Boston College: The Eagles took home this year’s Pope Bowl with a 27-14 over Notre Dame. But Boston College better not put its rosary away. It plays Virginia Tech in Blacksburg this week.
5. Oklahoma: The Sooners have found a way to rise in the rankings after back-to-back wins over Texas and Missouri. True, Oklahoma blew it against Colorado, but this season’s had bigger upsets. Just ask around Ann Arbor.
6. Oregon: The Ducks beat Washington State 53-7 this week. In other words, they had a bye. They’re probably licking their beaks at their chance to beat Southern Cal, but they better not look past Washington this week.
7. Kentucky: Even though the Wildcats beat Louisiana State this Saturday, they’re still ranked four spots below them. Maybe a win over Florida this weekend will convince the voters Kentucky is for real.
8. South Carolina: Got to love the ‘Ol Ball Coach. He’s got his Cocks ready to rise to the top of the SEC this season. Hopefully, Coach Urban Meyer’s Gators won’t block them.
9. Arizona State: The Devils should probably enjoy their time in the sun now. They play Cal, Oregon and USC over the next four weeks. Even if they lose all three, they can take solace in knowing Tempe has the nations’s hottest girls in the nation.
10. California: MAJOR PARTY FOUL! Backup freshman quarterback Kevin Riley cost the Bears this game. No way he’ll be able to tap that. The girl or the keg.
Also Receiving Votes: Kansas, Virginia Tech, Florida, West Virginia, Michigan, Southern Cal, Hawaii