The Michigan Daily Top 10 returns for its fourth installment in this young season. Each week, Daily Sports staffers will fill out ballots, with first place votes receiving 10 points, second-place votes receiving nine, and so on. The results are published with first-place votes in parentheses.

1. Louisiana State (11): Statement game this week. Trailing defending champion Florida for the entire game, the Tigers score the winning touchdown with just more than a minute left. The Southern Cal loss gave LSU this spot all by itself.

2. California (1): The one first-place vote is questionable, but that doesn’t mean the Golden Bears don’t deserve this spot. After the Southern Cal loss, a win in the teams’ Pac-10 matchup should guarantee Cal a spot in the National Championship.

3. Ohio State: Staked its claim to the top spot in the Big Ten with a dominant win on the road at Purdue this week. The Buckeyes’ defense shut down the Boilermakers, who were previously averaging 45 points and 496 yards per game.

4. Boston College: Probably the biggest beneficiary of the Southern Cal loss, the Eagles look like the team to beat in the ACC. A matchup at Virginia Tech looms large, as does a home game against Florida State the following week.

5. South Florida: Two years ago, the Bulls were just a blip on the radar, but now they’ve become a force in the Big East. South Florida has already taken out West Virginia, but can it garner a BCS bowl bid?

6. Oklahoma: With a win over Texas in the Red River Classic, the Sooners take control of the Big 12. The victory was especially impressive after a disappointing road loss last week at Colorado. A BCS bowl is not only within reach, but likely.

7. Oregon: The home loss to California doesn’t look as bad when almost every other team in the top 10 falls from the ranks of the unbeatens. It’s even better when you can sit back and watch it unfold during your bye week.

8. South Carolina: If Steve Spurrier thought he was spending the rest of his coaching days in obscurity of the stacked SEC, then he’s pleasantly surprised with the Gamecocks’ resurgence. Shoot, he even stars in his own commercials.

9. Missouri: The Tigers have stormed onto the national scene. No one thought much about the early-season game between Missouri and Illinois, but then again, no one thought the two teams would have just one loss between them.

10. Cincinnati: Coach Brian Kelly, West Michigan’s darling son, has the Bearcats playing with a swagger the Nasty Natty hasn’t seen in over a decade. Still, the Big East isn’t the pushover league it used to be.

Also Receiving Votes: West Virginia, Southern Cal, Kansas, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Hawaii, Illinois