Last year the Michigan baseball team didn’t make the cut into the Big Ten Tournament, but on Thursday, it accomplished just that.

The Wolverines defeated Penn State 6-3 on Medlar Field at State College last night to clinch a spot in the conference tournament hosted in Columbus next week.

Michigan (13-9 Big Ten, 33-19 overall) senior pitcher Alan Oaks won his fifth game of the season after pitching seven innings and collecting five strikeouts. The Wolverines ace allowed coach Rich Maloney to stay out of the bullpen for a while, something that has haunted the Wolverines most recently in their Big Ten race.

Sophomore third baseman John Lorenz and redshirt senior right fielder Nick Urban both had run-scoring triples. And senior catcher Chris Berset came home twice in the matchup against the Nittany Lions (8-14, 21-29). Berset is second on the team for most scored runs with 49.

Michigan didn’t pull away until the fourth frame when there were two runners on base and Lorenz notched his triple to bring in two tallies and put the Wolverines up 4-1.

Penn State responded to Lorenz’s three-base crank with two solo home runs. But that’s when designated hitter Crank Coley smashed one of his own feet from the plate — his 13th of the season.

Junior pitcher Tyler Burgoon then took the mound for the Wolverines. He tied a Michigan record by recording his 10th save of the season. Burgoon threw three strikeouts and pitched two scoreless innings.

Game two will take place Friday evening at 5:35 p.m.