The Michigan men’s soccer team couldn’t have scripted a better ending to their inaugural match at the U-M Soccer Complex.

With only 90 seconds left in the first overtime period against Detroit, sophomore midfielder Hamoody Saad darted across the top of the box, dribbled the ball to his right foot, and buried a shot in the lower right-hand corner of the goal.

Saad slid to his knees in the wet grass as he was mobbed by his teammates, celebrating the Wolverines’ dramatic 2-1 season-opening win on Wednesday.

But Saad’s late-game heroics wouldn’t have been possible without the aggressive first-half play of his brother — freshman forward Soony Saad — which resulted in the first goal of the contest.

With the game scoreless, 28 minutes into the first half, Soony took a free kick from just outside the box and drilled it past a sprawling Detroit goalkeeper into the top corner of the net.

For the highly touted rookie, scoring that first career goal was something special.

“I just stepped up to it, looked at the ball, and tried to bend it around, and it just dipped right under the crossbar,” Soony said. “It was just an amazing feeling.”

While the Saad duo provided the night’s two main highlights, it took all the energy that Michigan could muster to overcome a feisty Titan team.

The first half tempo was carried primarily by the Wolverine offense — headlined by the Saad brothers, who took 18 of the team’s 27 total shots — but Detroit certainly gained control during the second half, despite playing the entire half down a player because of a red card, and knotted up the score at one goal apiece.

The lone Titan goal came on a long throw-in from freshman Adam Bedell to cutting midfielder Pat Lepera, whose header tucked just inside the right post.

From his goaltending position, junior team captain Chris Blais was impressed with the opponents’ attack.

“It was definitely a first game of the year for us,” Blais said. “A lot of credit has to go to Detroit though, to be down a man with the red card. They really came out to play hard.”

Michigan coach Steve Burns echoed his goalkeeper’s words.

“A lot of times (playing a man up) can be tactically difficult because the team with a man down goes all out because they have nothing to lose,” Burns said. “We got a little sloppy, balls kind of got away from us, so we really need to focus on our rhythm — how we get in wide and how we get in behind the defense.”

Looking ahead to Friday’s home matchup against No. 14 Drake, the team will work to capitalize on more scoring opportunities, and look forward to showcasing their new stadium yet again.

“Our administration really stepped up, and now as a team we want to make sure we’re worthy of this facility,” Burns said. “But the fans were really great tonight, and we’re hoping to get that student section filled against Drake.”

As he looked up into the stands and across the field, Burns likened the experience to another momentous occasion in this university’s history.

“This place is special, and I think the feeling we get is the same as you got when the Big House was opened on October 1, 1927, and Michigan played Ohio Wesleyan,” Burns said with a laugh. “No one really remembers who scored or who started, but you remember the score.”

All comparisons aside, Burns won’t soon forget the stadium’s impressive opener.