With five minutes remaining in the second period Friday, Ohio State forward Nick Oddo head butted freshman defenseman Cutler Martin, earning a game misconduct and ejection. Seconds into the ensuing power play, sophomore forward Alex Kile got revenge with a goal, netting Michigan’s fourth in the frame.

From there, the offense continued to pour it on, and despite a few extra, rivalry-appropriate shoves, the Michigan hockey team handed Ohio State a decisive, 8-3 loss.

“Right now, our team’s got a little bit of offensive confidence,” said Michigan coach Red Berenson. “I can tell you, though, I’m just as glad we’re not playing tomorrow in Columbus.”

The two teams used a combined five goaltenders in the contest, as the Buckeyes used all three options in search of answer to a Michigan offense that has scored 16 goals in its last two games at Yost Ice Arena.

In relief of sophomore goaltender Zach Nagelvoort, junior Steve Racine allowed one goal in the third period, but it wasn’t enough for a Buckeye comeback. Instead, freshman forward Tony Calderone netted his second career goal, upping the Wolverines’ scoring total to eight for the third time this season.

The Wolverines (2-1 Big Ten, 8-6-0 overall) tallied five goals on 11 shots in the second period, including two each from Kile and junior forward Andrew Copp.

Copp’s two goals give him seven on the season, tied with senior forward Zach Hyman for second on the team behind Kile, who has nine goals in 14 contests.

“We’ve honestly been working on the power play, probably more than we should be in practice,” Kile said. “But it’s working, we’ve seen the results.”

Extra curricular activity in the second frame resulted in three Michigan power-play goals and finished 4-for-5 on the night — a welcome sign for a team that struggled to convert on special teams in non-conference pay.

“I can tell you that before the game, we didn’t want to get into a special-teams’ game with Ohio,” Berenson said. “But when it turned out that way, it worked in our favor.”

With 10 seconds remaining on a man-advantage, Copp extended the lead to three before an Ohio State breakaway goal made it a two-goal game once more. On a second opportunity, and from nearly the same spot, Copp fired a second goal behind Ohio State goaltender Christian Frey’s back.

For a second-straight game, the first line — comprising Copp, Calderone and sophomore forward Tyler Motte — led Michigan in scoring with seven points. Motte finished with a team-high four assists.

“A smart player will take that split second, will see the ice, and he’ll be a little deceptive,” Berenson said. “And Tyler is one of those players.”

Michigan also found success on the penalty kill, leaving Nagelvoort to make just 20 saves en route to his sixth victory of the season.

Moments after smothering the Buckeyes’ second power play opportunity of the game, senior forward Travis Lynch backhanded his own rebound shot for a goal, putting Michigan up by a pair of goals early in the second frame.

Kile’s line — including freshman forward Dylan Larkin and senior Zach Hyman — continued its dominance. The trio combined for six points, including three goals and three assists.

After the Buckeyes struck first midway through the opening frame, Larkin dropped a puck in front of Hyman, who snapped a shot over Frey’s right shoulder knotting the score at one. Then, with just 11 seconds to go, freshman defenseman Zach Werenski added a second tally of the faceoff, sending the Wolverines into the first intermission with a one-goal lead they would not relinquish in the game.

“I would love to play tomorrow in Columbus,” Copp said, contrary to his coach. “I think we’ve got some mojo in that locker room.”