The Michigan volleyball team hit the road for the first time in Big Ten play, and rose to the occasion.

Friday night, the Wolverines faced off against Iowa (0-3 Big Ten, 2-2 overall) in Iowa City and swept the Hawkeyes in straight sets, 25-14, 25-21, 25-20.

Coming off a tough five-set loss at home to No. 17 Purdue last Saturday, Michigan (2-1, 14-3) was able to bounce back behind the play of junior outside hitter Lexi Erwin’s game-high 13 kills. Erwin also added 13 digs, and sophomore setter Lexi Dannemiller 33 assists and a .273 kill percentage.

“You have to move on and just let it go,” said Michigan coach Mark Rosen of rebounding from the tough loss. “If you have a bad play you just have to move onto the next play. It’s the same thing for set to set and from night to night. This team has to be resilient and just live in the moment. Tonight, they did just that.”

The Wolverines got off to a fast start in the first set, leading to their .306 hitting percentage. When Iowa cut the lead to 10-8, Michigan called a timeout and then went on a 6-0 run that was capped off with a block from junior outside hitter Molly Toon.

In the second set, the Wolverines lost their momentum and spent the first half of the game exchanging points with the Hawkeyes. After taking a 10-8 lead that grew to 16-13 after back-to-back kills from freshman outside hitter Kelly Murphy, Michigan’s defense took the reins and never led its lead go. The Wolverines held Iowa to .000 hitting percentage in the set.

The momentum continued into the third set, where Michigan had a strong showing with 14 kills, while again holding Iowa to a .000 hitting percentage.

“We were really consistent on offense, but I thought defensively that’s probably where we were our strongest,” Rosen said. “We were waiting for everything they did. We were very alert (and) very aware of what was going on. Overall we defended extremely well.”

Overall, the Wolverines held the Hawkeyes to a .051 hitting percentage, while also limiting them to only eight blocks on the night. Friday’s victory was the first game of a two-day road trip that ends in Lincoln against No. 6 Nebraska on Sunday.