This is an excerpt from the Daily’s 2014 Orientation Issue. To read the rest of the issue, click here.

You probably already know about the incredible feeling of a football Saturday in Ann Arbor at Michigan Stadium. And you probably also know about the Michigan basketball team, which has made the Elite Eight two years in a row.

But there are a number of things worth doing on the Michigan athletics side before your freshman year is done. Here’s a quick checklist:

Children of Yost: Michigan hockey games at Yost Ice Arena are often overlooked for football and basketball, but many people will tell you Yost has the best atmosphere on campus.

The historic venue on campus is small, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in noise. The student section, “Children of Yost,” has a number of chants for Michigan (and, yes, at the opposing team), that make Yost one of the best arenas in college hockey.

The team has missed out on the NCAA Tournament for two straight years, but coach Red Berenson is heading into his 31st season at the helm and has a decent core returning to work with. Season tickets are down to $150 this year, or just get a taste by buying a ticket from another student.

Michigan Ultras: It may be a long walk, but often, it’s worth it. On the right day with the right weather, the Michigan soccer student section can also be a great experience.

Seated in a few rows of bleachers right on the east sideline, the students get loud quickly and stay loud for most of the game. Take the Ride down State Street to the stadium, or make the walk if you’re feeling up for it. Admission is free with your MCard, and the women’s team is coming off an Elite Eight appearance a year ago.

Intramural Sports: Not everyone on campus will be pulling on a block ‘M’ varsity uniform this fall, but there are still plenty of ways to play and have fun through IM sports.

Floor hockey, sand volleyball, soccer, softball, basketball, football, even inner tube water polo — you name it, they’ve got it. One campus favorite is broomball, played on the ice at Yost Arena (no skating required).

The rec sports department offers ‘A,’ ‘B’ and ‘C’ leagues for all levels of competition as well as men’s, women’s and co-rec teams. No matter what your skill set is, there’s no reason not to stay active this fall.