The Michigan men’s tennis team started off the new year swinging, facing both fierce competition and stormy weather. The Wolverines competed individually in Key Biscayne, Florida against top-notch opponents from No. 8 Texas, No. 29 LSU and Denver.

Michigan played well on Friday, earning six wins against Denver. Freshman Evan King, seniors Mike Sroczynski and George Navas and junior Jason Jung all won their singles matches. But the Wolverines lost their momentum as the weekend continued and stormy weather postponed Saturday’s matches. Michigan lost three doubles matches to both LSU and Florida, as well as several individual sets.

“This week in practice, each player will have an individual list to work on and as a team we need to focus on our doubles,” Michigan coach Bruce Berque said. “We have talented doubles players, we just need to sharpen our skills and develop a discipline for them.”

Jung, a consistent performer for Michigan, had a solid weekend. He won both of his singles matches and contributed to a doubles victory, along with King, over the three-day stretch.

“I played okay,” Jung said. “But pretty good considering I haven’t had any competition or tournament play in over a month.”

During the fall season, Jung went 8-5 in both singles and doubles competition. He is a speedy player that easily covers all areas of the court and was ranked No. 50 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll.

“This is a good start, but the first rankings are usually a little off,” Jung said. “I’m going to try not to think about it too much and just keep on playing like I have been.”

Berque was pleased with the team’s effort, but disappointed with the overall results from the weekend.

“It was a great opportunity to get out and compete after not playing since November,” Berque said. “We had tough competition and were able to see what needs improvement over the next few weeks.”