After taking down Wisconsin 172.5-112.5 in its season-opening victory last week, the Michigan men’s swimming and diving team was back in the water again Friday night. The opponent changed but the result was the same, as the Wolverines defeated Minnesota, 170-124, at Canham Auditorium.

Michigan took an early lead, placing first and second in the 200-yard medley relay. The barrage continued as sophomore Richard Funk, senior Miguel Ortiz and senior Sean Fletcher each took home three first-place victories to pace the Wolverines. In total, Michigan took first in all events.

Michigan sophomore Richard Funk was happy with his performance, but was much more impressed by the newcomers to the team.

“These guys have really fit in,” Funk said. “They’ve been confident, fast, and everything you need from them moving forward.”

The freshman class — led by reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Week Dylan Bosch — made waves among fans, teammates and coaches last week against Wisconsin. It continued this week, as Bosch captured first place in the 200-yard butterfly, while fellow freshmen Peter Brumm and Reid Elliot also collected accolades in their respective events.

Zach Turk — a former swimmer at Kenyon College — is beginning to make his mark for the Wolverines, collecting first-place finishes in the 50-yard freestyle and 200-yard medley relay, and second place in the 100-yard freestyle and 400-yard freestyle relay.

But impressive newcomers weren’t the only ones to continue their successes from last week. Junior Connor Jaeger was his usual dominant self again Friday night. The 2012 Olympian and reigning Big Ten Swimmer of the Week picked up right where he left off last week, earning victories in the 500- and 1,000-yard freestyle events.

First place is nice, but Funk knows the true strength of the Wolverines is their depth.

“It means a lot,” Funk said. ”It’s very nice to see us not only winning these events, but getting some depth as well. It’s excellent. It shows that we’re moving forward in all aspects of the team.”

Despite dominating its Big-Ten opponents early on, Michigan coach Mike Bottom isn’t satisfied yet.

“Our job every week is to get better,” Bottom said. “And tonight that’s what we did…There’s some things we can do on our turns. Our pacing in the distance needs to improve…But I liked what I saw tonight.”

Bottom’s message has trickled down to his swimmers. Bosch had similar thoughts to his coach regarding what comes next.

“I’m happy with how things went today,” Bosch said. “But it’s really just back to the pool on Monday, working on a few things, looking to get better, improving all around.”