YPSILANTI — The drought is over.

The No. 28 Michigan men’s soccer team’s dominating 3-1 upset victory over No. 8 Notre Dame marked the first time in four years that Michigan has beaten a top-10 team since its win over Connecticut in 2004.

“This team can play the wild card role pretty well,” Michigan coach Steve Burns said. “We have a lot of maturity and experience. We have determination to keep a tight focus on things and not be tracked by success.”

Wednesday’s win was Michigan’s first ever victory against Notre Dame, which still leads the all-time series 3-1-1.

The Fighting Irish (6-3-1) started strong with two close shots on goal in the opening nine minutes. Both shots were just wide of the goal, but ignited a fire in Michigan (7-2-2). The Wolverine offense took charge of the game and kept the ball on Notre Dame’s side for most of the half.

Just 30 seconds after Notre Dame’s second shot, junior forward Mauro Fuzetti put the Wolverines on the scoreboard. Fuzetti dribbled the ball down the left side of the field and then cut to the center at the penalty box. Having beaten all the Irish defenders for a clear shot, Fuzetti set the ball up straight and hit it into the back of the goal.

Notre Dame senior forward Bright Dike responded for the Irish 13 minutes later. Dike took the ball down the center of the field, beating the tailing Michigan defender. Face-to-face with only Michigan redshirt junior goalkeeper Patrick Sperry, Dike put the ball past Sperry to tie the game at one.

Less than a minute after Notre Dame’s game-tying score, the Wolverines set up their own picture-perfect goal to regain the lead. Senior forward Jake Stacy took a right cross from junior mid-fielder Peri Marosevic and headed the ball into the center of the goal.

Thirty-two minutes into the game, the Irish had a chance to tie the game again on a free kick but the header went wide of the goal. The Irish kept pushing for a goal late in the first half, but came up empty.

The Wolverines came out strong after halftime, giving the Notre Dame defense trouble. Michigan almost scored on a cross from Fuzetti from the left side of the field, but Marosevic’s shot went straight into the hands of the Irish keeper.

The Wolverines weren’t satisfied and went at it again — this time connecting for a goal. With 21 minutes left, Fuzetti took the ball up the left side of the field and again centered the ball to Marosevic. Marosevic faked the surrounding Notre Dame defense, stepping on the ball and giving him an open net to widen Michigan’s lead to 3-1.

“Marosevic is a dominating force,” Burns said. “He is a player you have to contend with and can hold the ball under pressure. He allows us to get forward and make penetrating runs, and that allowed us to be dangerous offensively.”

In the last fifteen minutes of regulation, the Irish offense had six shots — each denied by Michigan’s strong defense.

Michigan and the Irish each got 14 shots off, but the Wolverines had six shots on goal compared to four for Notre Dame. Three of those shots came from Marosevic.

As the clock neared zero, Michigan knew it had secured its victory over Notre Dame. The Wolverines gathered in a huddle by their bench, and amid the cheering fans, broke into a rousing version of “The Victors.”

“This team deserves that win,” Burns said.