DETROIT — Fifty-five minutes into the men’s soccer team’s 5-1 win over Detroit on Friday, Mauro Fuzetti made Wolverine history.

The Michigan junior midfielder became the first Wolverine since 2003 to record a hat trick. Michigan coach Steve Burns called Fuzetti, who also became the Wolverines’ seventh-leading scorer of all-time, the “man of the match.”

“He was just dangerous all day and he was rewarded for it with some big goals,” said Burns.

Fuzetti gave Michigan an early lead with an unassisted goal after he had a clean break down the left side of the field in the ninth minute.

Fuzetti’s second goal came seven minutes into the second half when he took a pass up the right side of the field and beat the defender to give Michigan a 3-1 lead. Just three minutes later, Fuzetti completed his hat trick.

Fueled by some pent-up aggression after losing Wednesday to Kentucky, the Wolverines (5-2-1) left Detroit with an explosive win.

But the game wasn’t all about Michigan. Detroit tied the game in the 34th minute when Titan midfielder Simon Zahra’s shot to the top right corner of the net slipped past Michigan redshirt junior goalie Patrick Sperry. Detroit fans came alive, shouting that it was now a “new game.”

But their encouragement seemed to spark the Wolverines, who responded quickly to change the dynamic. Just five minutes after the Titans’ game-tying goal, the Wolverines answered with a goal of their own. Jake Stacy scored on a clean shot from the center of the penalty box to give Michigan a 2-1 lead.

Like it did to open the game, Michigan continued to play strong the full 90 minutes to secure a final score of 5-1.

After Wednesday’s tough loss, winning Friday’s game was very important to Burns. For the second time this year, the Wolverines looked to rebound strong from a loss.

“There is a lesson in loss that all players learn — that lesson was translated into this game,” Burns said. “They really came out and put the energy in and put a good performance together, connecting both defensively and offensively. We are real proud of them and pleased with where they are right now.”