Junior Chris Cameron ended his routine, let out a shout of enthusiasm while holding up a victorious fist and sprinted over to a line of his teammates, waiting for high-fives.

It was only the first rotation, but Cameron celebrated his 15.40 floor performance as if he knew the Wolverines were going to finish the day with a win.

No. 3 Michigan did indeed beat No. 6 Penn State in front of a crowd of nearly 700 fans. Last year, the Wolverines fell to the Nittany Lions by just hundredths of a point. But yesterday, Michigan held a comfortable 10-point lead throughout most of the match and finished off with a total score of 355.65 to 344.75.

Though the Wolverines had a shaky start to the season at last weekend’s Windy City Invitational, they proved yesterday that they deserve their third-place ranking.

“A lot of the time there is a tremendous improvement between meet one and meet two,” Michigan coach Kurt Golder said. “You kind of knock the rust off and you figure out some things about competing again that you’ve learned a few times before.”

Cameron and junior Thomas Kelley led Michigan in scoring. Kelley took first place in both the horizontal bar and still rings, and finished third on the floor event. Cameron finished first on the floor and second on both the pommel horse and the parallel bars. He also won the all-around competition with a score of 88.75.

Senior Mel Anton Santander also performed well against the Nittany Lions. Santander recorded a top-three finish in two out of his four events, and set a career best on the pommel horse with a 14.95.

“Mel was just super,” Golder said. “I think he will be an All-American this year. He’s been on a roll since the NCAA finals last season and hopefully he can just continue that through the rest of the year because we need his help.”

Golder gave the Newt Loken Outstanding Performance award to Santander for his strong routine on the horse. This award is given to a Wolverine after each meet, in honor of long-time Michigan gymnastics coach, Newt Loken.

Though Santander was proud of his performance against Penn State, he doesn’t plan on becoming complacent anytime soon.

“It’s my senior year and it’s great to come out strong in the beginning for the first home meet,” Santander said. “However, I wanted to add a couple more skills into my routines, to add more difficulty and get a higher start value. Hopefully that will help the team even more than I did today.”