Once the chalk dust settled down from the start of the season, the Michigan’s men’s gymnastics team began to find its rhythm.

The sixth-ranked Wolverines (1-0 Big Ten, 4-2 overall) defeated No. 1 Penn State, 340.3-338.45, on Saturday night at Cliff Keen Arena.

Coming off a disappointing third-place finish at the Windy City Invitational in Chicago last week, Michigan found its groove against the nation’s top squad.

“Last week, we didn’t have a good showing,” said freshman Stacey Ervin. “Today, we just came out supporting ourselves.”

With a personal-best on vault (14.49) and his first career all-around title (83.7), freshman Adrian de los Angeles helped lead the team past the Nittany Lions (0-1, 1-1). In addition, sophomore Dylan James claimed the pommel horse title (14.2) and senior Syque Caesar took first place on the parallel bars (14.7).

But it was Ervin who set the tone of the event with a career-best (14.9) on floor. As he raised his arms at the end of his routine, the crowd came to its feet.

“(My) floor routine has been a little shaky in practice lately, but I was pretty confident coming into competition,” Ervin said. “The warm-up felt great, the team was behind me and cheering me on the whole way. I was just so excited. I hit the ground on the dismount and everything I was feeling inside came out.”

From there, the rest was history.

“Today, we started off on floor really well. We had a lot of energy, we got off on the right foot,” de los Angeles said.

Despite a few falls, Michigan was ready to make up for its disappointing finish at Windy City.

“Last week was a little rough,” de los Angeles said. “But that definitely gave us motivation to get back to the gym and work our butts off.”

The most troublesome event for the Wolverines was the high bar, where three gymnasts fell in the middle of their routines.

“High bar was a little rough,” Caesar said. “We could’ve done better on high bar. Overall, we had three falls, and we are trying to limit it (down) to two or one.”

Added Ervin: “The high bar is one of my biggest weaknesses. That fall wasn’t uncharacteristic of me, but I’m working on that as well.”

Despite Ervin’s fall, he was awarded the program’s Newt Loken Award for his effort at the meet, leading Michigan to defeat a top-ranked team for the first time since Jan. 23, 2004 — which also happened to be a Penn State squad.

The Wolverines won without 2011 NCAA All-Around Champion sophomore Sam Mikulak, who is training with the United States National Team in Colorado.

“All week, we had been talking about coming out and hitting our sets,” Ervin said. “We had to just come together and just do everything we’ve been practicing and do everything we can do.”