Senators Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) and Carl Levin (D-Mich.) declared Tuesday that Michigan institutions — including the University — will receive a total of $2,722,910 through the National Institutes of Health and American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funding.

Out of the approximately $2.7 million fund, the University will receive $1,303,882 to distribute to medical researchers.

Levin wrote in a press release that the funding will stimulate research and help boost Michigan’s economy.

“This economic recovery funding will help to preserve and create jobs in Michigan while also investing in important medical research,” Levin wrote. “Michigan’s top-notch universities are well-equipped to put this funding to good use.”

Michael Imperiale, Arthur F. Thurnau professor of microbiology and immunology was awarded $19,056 by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. He said the increased funding from NIH was a significant change compared to funding in the last eight years.

Because of the funding increase, Imperiale said he will be able to pursue a project from 2008 that would have been too expensive to continue.

“(The funding) allows us to continue a research project that otherwise didn’t make the cut last year because of the standard budget,” Imperiale said.

Margaret Westfall, Medical School associate professor of Surgery and Molecular and Integrative Physiology, was awarded $21,717 by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Westfall said her research will benefit from the increased funding because she will be able to expand her resources.

“With (NIH) summer supplements, we’re able to do a few more experiments and hire more undergrads,” Westfall said.

Westfall added that not only will the funding benefit her own research, but it will also support team-oriented, or collaborative research projects.

Westfall said that although the funding was not a significant figure, it will still greatly benefit her research.

“Summer supplements aren’t a lot of money, but every bit helps,” she said.