Michigan’s sophomore Matko Maravic advanced to the quarterfinals of the Wilson/ITA Regional Championships after a straight-set victory over his Ohio State counterpart yesterday.

Maravic defeated Brian Koniecko – the tournament’s No. 13 seed – by an impressive 6-3, 6-4 margin. The third-seeded Maravic now faces Notre Dame’s fourth-seeded Sheeva Parbhu today in action at the Varsity Tennis Center at 9 a.m.

Maravic’s early-round action wasn’t as easy. He managed to squeak out a pair of three-set battles on Saturday. He defeated Minnesota’s Osario Andres, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, just hours after winning another marathon match.

His first-round match against unranked Dmytro Ishtuganov was another strong test. Maravic dropped the first set against Ishtuganov, 3-6, before regaining his composure and securing the match by taking the next two sets, 6-1, 6-3.

Maravic is the lone Michigan player left in the main draw. Three other Wolverines – juniors Ryan Heller and Steve Peretz and freshman Andrew Mazlin – also qualified for the division championship, with all five of their matches going into three sets.

Mazlin won an exciting three-set contest in his first-round match, defeating Robert Rotaru by a 7-6(1), 5-7, 6-3 score. Hung was also successful, besting Johnny Berrido of Louisville, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.

Heller, the tournament’s No. 17 seed, dropped a tough 4-6, 6-4, 4-6 battle in his opening round match, while his two other teammates dropped their second round matches – Hung lost 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 while Mazlin lost a tightly-contested 6-7(15), 6-4, 6-3 match.

All three of the qualifying doubles teams for Michigan are also out of the tournament.

Two teams reached the third round. The No. 2-seeded duo of junior Brian Hung and Maravic put together two 8-3 wins before being upset by the Illinois duo of Pramod Dabir and Brandon Davis, 8-6.

Another Illini duo proved to be the roadblock for the other Michigan team in the third round. Illinois’s team of Marc Spicijaric and Monte Tucker beat Michigan’s Heller and Mazlin by an 8-3 margin. The team won its first two matches, 8-6 and 9-8(5).

– Scott Bell