Associated Press

Oklahoma’s opening day loss sent the Sooners tumbling from the top 10 of the Associated Press poll for the first time in almost four years, Auburn stumbled all the way out of the rankings while it only took Charlie Weis just one game to get Notre Dame back in.

And of course, Southern Cal. is still No. 1.

USC has been No. 1 for 20 straight polls dating back to late in the 2003 season, leaving the Trojans one short of the record set by Miami from 2001-02. USC received 61 of 65 first-place votes in the poll released Tuesday. No. 2 Texas got the other four first-place votes.

The 18th-ranked Sooners dropped 11 spots in the AP media poll after a 17-10 loss at home to TCU Saturday. The last time Oklahoma, which has played in the last two Bowl Championship Series title games, wasn’t in the top 10 was Dec. 2, 2001.

“Sometimes it concerns you that when you have won for a period time, the players start thinking you have a right to win,” Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. “You have to earn it every play, and I say that every week. We didn’t go out there and do it last week, and TCU played harder and tougher than we did.”

Auburn, coming off an undefeated season and No. 2 final ranking, had its 15-game winning streak snapped by Georgia Tech, 23-14. After starting the season ranked 16th, the Tigers have now been relegated to “others receiving votes.”

Ray Ratto of The San Francisco Chronicle was one of eight voters to drop Oklahoma and Auburn out of the first regular-season poll.

“I have a real hard time looking at a team that’s 0-1 and keeping them in the poll,” he said. “I don’t think you get points for losing your opener.

“When they get back to 4-1 and 5-1 they’ll be back in.”