A 21-year-old man from Detroit was arraigned yesterday for hitting another man with his car in a University parking lot Tuesday. The incident occurred while the 21-year-old man was visiting a University student.

At about 9 p.m. Tuesday, the University student left her residence at the Northwood Apartments with the 21-year-old visitor. They discovered the student’s former boyfriend in a parking lot at the corner of Murfin Avenue and Plymouth Road, Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Diane Brown said.

Brown said the two men were involved in a physical fight, after which the 21-year-old man drove his car in such a manner that he hit the student’s ex-boyfriend, who was a 19-year-old visitor from Plymouth.

The 21-year-old man fled the scene in his car and was pulled over by the Ann Arbor Police east of the parking lot on Plymouth Road, Brown said. University Police arrived at the scene and arrested the man.

The victim was taken to the University Hospital emergency room and was evaluated, treated for non-life-threatening injuries and then released, Brown said. The offender was taken to the Washtenaw County Jail.

Brown said University Police submitted their investigation to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office yesterday.

The prosecutor’s office authorized three charges: one charge of assault with intent to murder, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison; one charge of assault with intent to commit great bodily harm less than murder, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison or a $5,000 fine; and one charge of felonious assault, which carries a maximum penalty of four years in prison or a $2,000 fine.

The man was arraigned yesterday afternoon on $100,000 bond, Brown said. A preliminary exam is scheduled for Feb. 18 at 1 p.m.