After a week of litigation, LSA junior Cooper Charlton and LSA sophomore Steven Halperin, Make Michigan presidential-elect and vice presidential-elect, respectively, will hold on to their five-vote lead in this year’s Central Student Government elections.

Results were previously unofficial due to several pending cases filed to the University Election Commission by The Team and Make Michigan against each other. The last of those cases were decided Wednesday evening. Both parties were found not guilty, and both chose not to appeal those decisions.

Law student Paige Becker, the University’s elections director, said the results were now certified, due to the decisions.

Along with the presidency and vice presidency, results for the CSG assembly were also certified. Make Michigan won 23 seats and the Department of Public Safety Oversight Committee seat. The Team won 21 seats, the Defend Affirmative Action Party won one seat and 14 seats were awarded to independent or write-in candidates.

In an interview Thursday afternoon, Charlton, the newly elected CSG president, said he was looking forward to beginning his role.

“It’s nice to finally come up for air,” Charlton said. “It’s a long process. Unfortunately it felt like it got a little political towards the end, which I don’t think is fair to the students, and I apologize we were going back and forth. But at the end of the day I think both The Team, the DAAP party and Make Michigan all are highly qualified and genuinely beautiful people that are all trying to make a difference and Steven and I are just honored we have this opportunity.”

Discussing the litigation process, which has delayed results in CSG elections several times in recent years, Charlton said it should be a balance of promoting fairness while not misusing the process.

“It’s one of those things where we need to have it in a case where there’s been blatant cheating, but we also have to hold ourselves accountable,” he said. “We can’t just use this resource to drag out the process or to try to find the loophole. It’s meant to specifically target blatant and provable cheating. At the end of the day, everyone wanted to win, but it’s a very hard question to answer.”

LSA senior Annie Pidgeon, Make Michigan party chair, said the next step in the process is bringing CSG together.

“I think a lot of times what happens when you get elected to CSG, especially when there’s two big parties, is there’s not enough collaboration,” Pidgeon said. “I think the next step for Make Michigan is to unify CSG.”

Charlton said he had already collected descriptions of what each representative, regardless of party affiliation, wanted to do with their term. He added that he and Halperin hadn’t yet selected other members of the executive team, and planned to invite members from all parties to compete for selection.

LSA junior Jacob Abudaram, the campaign manager for The Team, said though he disagrees with University Elections Commission’s decision, he still respects the committee and the election process. He said members of The Team are looking forward to keep working on the party’s initiatives.

“Will and Matt will continue to do their work,” he said. “Will is bringing in 42 students from underrepresented high schools in Kalamazoo next week. We’re excited to see what The Team representatives will do and the work they’ll do with the Make Michigan reps.”

In a Facebook post Thursday morning, LSA sophomore Matt Fidel, vice presidential candidate for The Team, called the experience of running difficult, but rewarding.

“It wasn’t always easy, but this election has been quite a valuable learning experience,” Fidel said. “I am humbled and honored to have been given the opportunity to run for vice president of the student body of the greatest university in the world.”

Daily News Editor Shoham Geva and Daily Staff Reporter Tanaz Ahmed contributed to this report.