One thousand copies of Changing Times, a free magazine designed as a resource to help students choose their careers, will be distributed today at the University and seven other universities around the globe.

The student-run magazine, relevant to a wide range of students, focuses primarily on different career paths, University of Notre Dame senior and magazine co-founder John Cannon said.

While Notre Dame students run the magazine, “half of the content in the magazine comes from students in other schools. We have a writer from Harvard and Cambridge among others – we are trying to make it a national publication,” Cannon said.

Cannon and Notre Dame senior John Mirshekari started the magazine as a resource for students to better understand their reasons for going into careers, as well as to provide information on how to fit in as members of society after graduation.

Cannon said it could appeal to a large number of students because the subject matter is relevant to everyone pursuing a profession.

“The magazine is not trying to preach a certain career. It brings speculation to students about art and service, really every direction you can imagine,” Cannon said. “Students have unlimited possibilities, and there is a whole spectrum of things in the magazine that try to appeal to everyone despite their major and interests.”

Changing Times spokesman Edward Faustin, a Notre Dame senior, said the magazine can either reinforce the interest that the student had or be a deciding factor in changing it.

Faustin said people are chasing after jobs to seek a profit, but not making long-term goals.

The current issue’s highlights consider careers in human rights and other war-related professions. It includes an interview with a peace lobbyist and with a writer who discusses ethical issues such as sweatshop labor.

The articles voice the perspectives of students as well as those who have graduated and entered the working world. They deal with how people are engaged in life following college and the ideologies they have.

“This magazine started because we saw the need for increased dialogue among students regarding their futures, also out of a need for discernment as to what is important for a career in the context of one’s self and society,” Cannon said.

The magazine is delivered three times a year. Its authors are seeking writers and can be reached via e-mail at info@changingtimes.org.